Cost of ownership of diesel and hybrids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scanned the PDF for 1 minute and still don't understand what they are trying to say. You would think that they would have sorted the table by cost of ownership rather than alphabetically.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Scanned the PDF for 1 minute and still don't understand what they are trying to say. You would think that they would have sorted the table by cost of ownership rather than alphabetically.

Are you saying its not perfectly clear?

Quote:
IntelliChoice.com’s survey of 2009 hybrid and clean diesel vehicles is intended to add clarity

The problem is not diesel's reliability, but the reliability of German cars in general (at least in the US, since the European tends to drive/maintain/expect their car differently than us).

In terms of hybrid, our fuel price is too low to make any expensive fuel saving technologies worth the ROI. Just look at how people complains about mandates on a few mandates that would save fuel cost over time but increase purchase/manufacturing cost when purchases.

A friend of mine had a 2000 [C] Benz Diesel..He bought it brand new for 50K bucks...He has 130K miles on it now and has had no issues with it...His driving is both local and highway.

He gets it serviced every 3K miles at the dealer..That prabably why it has lasted so long with no issues..Even the a/c still pumps out ice cold air.

Personally, I am sold on the new diesels. On a recent family vacation to Germany we rented a Jetta Sportwagen turbo diesel and I was really impressed. It handled great, cruised effortlessly at 160kph on the autobahn and delivered 44mpg hauling a family of 5 through the alps.

575240838_UNyC9-L.jpg

That is "Schloss Neuschwannstein" in the background.

Diesel fuel averaged around 1.12 Euros per liter which figures to about six bucks a gallon at current exchange rates. I think that its just a matter of time before we are forced to park our big SUV's for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back