Cost of oil changes nowadays -- hoooly moooly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed with teaching your nephew to change his own oil & filter. Im sure he would appreciate the quality time with his Uncle also. Me having a new born right around the corner and not getting a raise in two years -- my money is really tight and add the mortgage on top of it right now. I shop at Wally World for my oil & filters all the time. When they have rollbacks on there oil -- even better yet. I like looking around underneath my vehicles when changing the oil/filter also.

Our local Lexus dealer gets about $250 for a minor service. Audi is about the same, MB is about the same for a Service A.

Truth is, cars warrant more attention at each service visit than "just an oil change." Look at your owner's manual's maintenance schedule, and there are almost always additional inspections required for each mileage interval. At the minimum, the vehicle should be fully inspected, tire rotated (if possible), filters checked and codes scanned. All of those items take time and justify additional expense.

I am not saying that I agree with the $250 minor services, but some of the numbers reported here are way too low. A proper preventative maintenance service includes an oil change, but that is not the main focus of the visit. I think $100-$125 is more than fair for a car that calls for 5-6 quarts of synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Friend of mine has a used turbo passat.

$140 out the door to change oil filter, and check something.

I'll stick with my $1 after rebate oils, and bulk purchases of OEM filters. I think my last sonata oil change cost under 10 with a OEM filter, and the wife's XB cost me $7 to do.

Last fill was havoline semi syn high mileage 5w20.

Not sure what 'repair pal' is. Definitely higher than the others. Why?

Your nephew is lucky to have an uncle do his homework. He should learn to change his own oil though. Consider it a "Rite of Passage".

Finally, not sure where you are in Tx. but even in Tx., the taxes, fees, labor, etc. can be burdensome on a small business. In high-tax blue areas, they're downright crushing. And yeah, there's no way to compete with unburdoned DIY labor.

The 60/70's are long gone. [censored], even the 80's are LONG GONE....

Welcome To The New World Order!

Honda charges $60 for oil change in our area (5qt); I can do for $30 plus from comfort of my garage

Several years ago it was around the 130$ mark to do a "synthetic" oil change on my Trailblazer at the local Chev dealer. Got it down to 60$ doing it myself, using the same oils and a Fram Ultra and running it 24,000 or so km.

I never did price it out on my Ram. The other day I did the oil/filter and fuel filters for 205$. Without shopping around, you are near the 200$ mark for fuel filters alone.

Its absolutely ridiculous.

I had the dealership change the oil for the first 3 years so as to make sure there wouldn't be any problem with an eventual warranty claim.

After those 3 years passed, I started doing it myself. 20-30$ of oil and 8$ for an OEM oil filter. is about half what the dealership charged 13 years ago. My mechanical skills and knowledge are very limited, but changing the oil is something I can do.

Had I known what was to come (car is now 13 years old and not a single warranty claim), I would have done it myself from the start so as not to waste money. I now care for 5 vehicles, all way past their warranty dates.

I like knowing what oil & filter are in them. If something goes wrong, I can't blame anyone else.

I just got an email check from Mobil for $24, based on buying 2 jugs of Mobil1.
So I probably paid $12 per jug!
I am not sure how you do much better than that.
Thanks to all, especially whoever mentioned this rebate.

Just received a coupon in the mail yesterday for a free oil change and rotation from the place I've been taking the Matrix to. They use Valvoline conventional. Upgrade to Maxlife for an extra $20 or full syn for an extra $30. I think I'll stick to the conventional this time around.

It's amazing how much money people will pay so they don't have to crawl under their car and get dirty.

I remember my '85 Omni with $2 filters and 50¢ oil. I kept it for 165K. All oil changes using 3K OCI cost a total of $300 for the life of the vehicle.

$300 in 1985 is over $700 today. Most people could not afford that. [yah, I know, it wasn't all at once.]

CNN

Quote:
If you were hit with a $1,000 emergency, would you be able to cover it?

For the majority of Americans, the answer is no.

Only 39% of Americans say they would be able to pay for a $1,000 unplanned expense, according to new report from Bankrate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
It's amazing how much money people will pay so they don't have to crawl under their car and get dirty.

True, but also keep in mind there are many people who simply can't change their oil due to health or space issues. I have several friends who live in apartments or rent houses in areas where changing your own oil or working on your car is not allowed. Many of them come to my house to do it since I have the driveway/garage space.

Often the terribly expensive oil change service will include other services such as inspection, top off fluids, vacuum, window cleaning, car wash, etc. Not always. Also these additional services don't necessarily make the price a deal, but they do explain the higher prices. It's a "full service" I guess.

All the MB dealers and independents around here all offer $129 - A Service specials constantly which is a glorified oil change with a handful of inspections, adjustments and a free full service car wash (interior and exterior clean). Works out to be $140 after taxes and fees and is WELL worth the cost when you consider all the parts and labor going into it.

Oil - 8.5 quarts per owners manual @ lets say $7.88/quart (Mobil 1 OW40) = ~$77 after tax for 9 quarts.

Oil Filter - Genuine MB - ~$16 after tax. You can find OE equivalent online for $10 + shipping but ends up being same price as walking into dealer once shipping tacks on.

Car Wash - Similar service at a car wash 2 blocks up from the MB dealer is ~$17 + $5 tip

Already I am at $115 to do it myself and that does not even account for my time working on the car, running around to collect all the parts and oil, recycling the old oil afterwards and running to the car wash. IMO it is $25 well spent (lets say $50 best case scenario if I find a good oil deal) to go drop my car off, grab a free cup of coffee or bottled water, get a free shuttle the 1.5 miles to work then sometime after lunch have the shuttle come pick me up and I have a freshly clean and oil changed car to go back to work in. This does not even account for the fact I live in a condo complex that forbids auto work (I can and have gotten away with light work that does not involve ramps or jacks)so on top of my time working and running around I would have to find somewhere to work on my car.

Dealer I use does very decent work and I have a good relationship with my service adviser, we run in some of the same social circles so she has learned quickly I know about cars and doesn't brow beat me down about what her shop person told her my car needs. I am the customer the $129 loss leading special does not work on.

My oil change cost me around 10-15 dollars every 5,000 miles but i got plenty of oil and filters in stock and got connections for a low price and i don't mind changing it myself no way a quick lube is touching my stuff.

I have seen the damage and mistakes that quick lube businesses have done and some of the shady business practices by up selling a product or service then not performing it.

Originally Posted By: pezzy669
All the MB dealers and independents around here all offer $129 - A Service specials constantly which is a glorified oil change with a handful of inspections, adjustments and a free full service car wash (interior and exterior clean). Works out to be $140 after taxes and fees and is WELL worth the cost when you consider all the parts and labor going into it.

Oil - 8.5 quarts per owners manual @ lets say $7.88/quart (Mobil 1 OW40) = ~$77 after tax for 9 quarts.

Oil Filter - Genuine MB - ~$16 after tax. You can find OE equivalent online for $10 + shipping but ends up being same price as walking into dealer once shipping tacks on.

Car Wash - Similar service at a car wash 2 blocks up from the MB dealer is ~$17 + $5 tip

Already I am at $115 to do it myself and that does not even account for my time working on the car, running around to collect all the parts and oil, recycling the old oil afterwards and running to the car wash. IMO it is $25 well spent (lets say $50 best case scenario if I find a good oil deal) to go drop my car off, grab a free cup of coffee or bottled water, get a free shuttle the 1.5 miles to work then sometime after lunch have the shuttle come pick me up and I have a freshly clean and oil changed car to go back to work in. This does not even account for the fact I live in a condo complex that forbids auto work (I can and have gotten away with light work that does not involve ramps or jacks)so on top of my time working and running around I would have to find somewhere to work on my car.

Dealer I use does very decent work and I have a good relationship with my service adviser, we run in some of the same social circles so she has learned quickly I know about cars and doesn't brow beat me down about what her shop person told her my car needs. I am the customer the $129 loss leading special does not work on.

I like your math. Easy to work the numbers.

How about $22.88 for a 5 quart jug x 2 with a $24 rebate when Mobil has their rebate twice a year. Just missed one that ended May 31st. So that's $21.76 for 10 quarts of oil or $2.17 per quart so $18.45 for the oil. I tend to stock up on filters, still got a Purolator fleece filter left. Rockauto was clearing them out a couple years ago at $2 a filter. But the Mann filter is $8.38 and shipping is $6.99. But I'd probably grab 4 of them or or get more stuff than just buying one, works out to about $9.70 after the 5% off code. So more like $27.90 for an oil change. Car wash around here starts at $9 and there's no tip as they don't wipe it down afterwards. So maybe it's worth the $90? I don't mind the work as I go to the gym anyway, Changing the oil is nothing compared to trying to do 100 burpees in a gym class.

My father got hosed the other day on an oil change from a local, to him, repair shop. 2013 Subaru Impreza, "synthetic oil change" written on the invoice $85. I was [censored], I told him I'd do it, but he didn't want to bother me, so he got hosed instead. I told him that's the last time for that shop. I'll be doing his work going forward. The guy was smart not putting with grade of oil he used, he just put Mobil 1 on the invoice instead. I wonder if he even did a synthetic oil change, and screwed a senior citizen a bit more. He quoted my father $375 for rear brakes, "if it needed rotors it would be more." My father passed on that. I could have lived and not complained about a $65 synthetic oil change in that car, $85 put me over the top.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I have seen the damage and mistakes that quick lube businesses have done and some of the shady business practices by up selling a product or service then not performing it.

Those places have no choice because if they do not up sell services the manager at that location gets fired quickly. People get hosed there every single day of the week.

This is the problem with most automotive-related service establishments - the upsell. I can do a synthetic oil change on any one of my vehicles in my garage for around $36, and inspect everything else myself. I prefer to avoid the wear & tear of having someone plundering under the hood every time I get an oil change. Removing the air filter is a particularly tricky thing on the Canyon, and I can see where breakage could occur at the hand of a ham-fisted oil change tech. I vacuum & dust the interiors every weekend, and nobody is touching my paint with a filthy wash mitt and an old towel.

Its the same situation with getting a clear bra installed. Nobody will just do the front bumper and 1/4 hood. They throw in fenders, mirrors, door handle cups, etc. at a 'package price', which ends up being $999. No thanks...I'll just get a tube of touch-up paint.

Don't mean to appear cheap, because when there's a legitimate need, I have no problem forking it over. I know there needs to be profit built-in for these places to remain afloat, but the add-ons need to be of real value to me, or I'm not paying for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back