Cost of oil changes nowadays -- hoooly moooly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember an ad from a fast change place. Dealers were getting a reputation for trying to move you on to bigger repairs. The ad said “ At so and so, we don’t want to change your life, we just want to change your oil”.

Last edited:
My Toyota dealer is also a Ford dealer so I use the Quicklane often. I bring my own oil sometimes and sometimes I use there oil. They only charge 3.49 a qt for there synthetics and they use genuine Toyota parts and filter so I have no complaints.
Another local,ford quicklane has a huge upcharge and cost twice as much.
I combine the oil change trip with this decent location to go to a nice liquor store and buy some high grade whiskey and other errands in that town, sometimes I change my own oil, but the time it takes dispose of the used oil and keep things clean is not worth the minor savings to me. I think the last time I paid for an oil change it was 39.99 for a f150 with the 4.6.
The time I brought my own oil and filter for my new 4 runner, for am early oil change, they did. It charge me to do it during the 5k service. There are still decent service relationships to be had.

Plus mine is dog friendly, has popcorn, ice cream, cofeee and WiFi.

Last edited:
my local wal mart offers the "pit crew" oil change, 5 qts. Quaker State, fram filter, <$20.00 (at least the last one I did) . I have done a lot of them over the years and never an issue. I always check for leaks and fluid level but I do that with a dealer change.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
From the Mr. Lube website, the cash equity you have to put up for a a Mr. Lube franchise is $600,000 to $800,000.
The total cost including land and building is typically $1.8 to $2.2 million dollars. Think you can pay that off charging 30 bucks for an oil change?

There are lots of folks here (and in general society) who would scream YES without blinking an eye.

It's like people are incapable of looking at the bigger picture..

You really think that lots of folks on this board have $600,000 or more in cash?

OR, are you saying that folks on this board think that $30 oil changes would pay off that debt?

Show your nephew how to do his own oil changes. He may like it and end up doing more DIY jobs and be a better person for it.

Our new Toyota 4runner came with free oil changes for two years but I still do them myself. I like knowing it's done right! I don't trust oil change monkey workmanship.

My regular Chevy dealer charges $50 for lube, 6 quarts of Dexos 1G2 oil and filter with a tire rotation thrown in. Last couple of months they offered the service for $25.

I like doing my own oil, but tire rotations with my setup not so much, so with OE tires I like the dealer service. Obviously, their price point is designed to get you in to sell other services. I don't mind, I can just say no.

Two times ago they recommended a fuel system cleaner. Told them no thanks. When the service writer suggested it was needed, I suggested it was needed for their profit margin, and not because the vehicle needed it. He stopped the upsell attempt. Last visit they recommended cooling system service (valid, Dexcool and it was at the 5 year point) and "Transmission Fluid Exchange Without Filter" (appropriate only for severe service, which the truck doesn't see, and filter change is required per the maintenance schedule). I let him know I'd take care of the coolant exchange, and would do the transmission service correctly with a pan drop and filter change. He didn't mention the air filter (which was due), and transfer case fluid which was also due for severe service.

The model in Las Vegas is whenever the customer brings in a vehicle, you should pry $600 out of his wallet. Unless the vehicle actually needs something, then the sky is the limit.

It must be shocking to many to fathom that oil change shops or auto repair shops even exist considering people can save TONS of money by doing all of these things themselves.

It's the left wing idea that, "anybody who owns a business must be worth millions, and must have been ripping people off for years, or stashing money tax free in offshore bank accounts". Usually I just ignore them. I think many places make very little money on oil changes, it's designed to get people to buy higher margin items while they're there, or buying more expensive services the next time the shop is visited.

Last edited:
I hate arguing with people who tell me "it's just as cheap to pay someone else to do it for me!" It isn't. I generally buy oil and filters on sale and spend no more than $20-25 foroil changes with synthetic oil and good filter. Also, I know it is done correctly. I have never had anyone perform an oil change on my car. The 14 Camry had one free oil change. I watched the entire process. Lmao.

Some people don't have the time or the inclination to oil changes themselves (myself included). I don't own a house where I am, and have nowhere to do the oil change. People who live in apartments may not have anywhere to do the work. Single family houses in the neighborhood where I work rent for $3500 a month and still may not have a garage. Also I lack the tools to do it, they are thousands of miles away in storage.

If the car is already on the lift in the shop for something else, the oil change can be done with minimum disruption.

Some people make enough money at work that it's not worth risking a spill on their garage floor, or taking time away from their families. It probably takes me twice as long to do it than any local shop, on a good day.

Try to look beyond your own viewpoint.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
It must be shocking to many to fathom that oil change shops or auto repair shops even exist considering people can save TONS of money by doing all of these things themselves.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The price of land is going up in the larger cities. Investors want the land the shop is on, not the shop. To keep a shop going requires a decent rate of return or you might as well bulldoze it.

Bingo. I’ve had so many good local businesses disappear because of this. Also, many perfectly good houses. The land is worth a dozen times what the building is!

Last edited:
If you do not service your own car, I suggest you use a decent repair shop. They will get to know your car. Maybe a little more $$ than the quickie shops, but hopefully you get a car guy...
I have never paid anyone to change my oil; I enjoy servicing my vehicles.
I completely understand others feel differently or do not have the facility...
All good.

Originally Posted By: dan3952
Some people don't have the time or the inclination to oil changes themselves...

You realize that I was making fun of those that insist (or think) that DIY is the ONLY sensible way to go ?

I have always changed my own oil. My knees are to the point where getting down on the ground under a car is painful. So I have started having my oil changed by others. Today I had the local Jiffy Lube do it. They allow me to bring my own oil and filter, and I am just paying for the labor. They even don't mind me watching them do it. And they did a great job. Very professional. I know there many on here that will think I am lying and that all Jiffy Lubes are out to rip people off, but the regular shops are NOT open on the weekends, and I didn't need an appointment. I may use other service providers in the future, time will tell, but I am satisfied with the service I received today.

And as my vehicle is under warranty, my oil change is documented with a receipt.

Last edited:
Today I received a slick oil-change coupon in the mail purportedly from the local Toyota dealer. $10 for conventional oil change and filter, or $40 for TGMO synthetic. The $10 deal seems wacky, not only because they'd lose money on it, but also because they're offering conventional oil, when the fine print elsewhere on the same form states the deal is good only on my specific car---for which Toyota effectively requires synthetic. Thus, it's sort of a bait-and-switch offer.

Originally Posted By: dan3952
It's the left wing idea that, "anybody who owns a business must be worth millions, and must have been ripping people off for years, or stashing money tax free in offshore bank accounts". Usually I just ignore them. I think many places make very little money on oil changes, it's designed to get people to buy higher margin items while they're there, or buying more expensive services the next time the shop is visited.

While that's a common sentiment by non business people, I don't think know where the concept that it's a left wing idea came from. That's totally out of left field. People are just generally clueless in general no matter what their political leanings.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
I hate arguing with people who tell me "it's just as cheap to pay someone else to do it for me!" It isn't. I generally buy oil and filters on sale and spend no more than $20-25 foroil changes with synthetic oil and good filter.

Well, an oil change is what, half hour? if you make more than $50/hour a person could make that statement.

The real question is, is that person actually considering spending the time changing oil OR making money? Most people take at least a day off from work a week, and that day could easily be spent changing oil or doing other work. Therefore it matters naught that they make $100/hour or whatever.

Now a person could value their spare time with a dollar amount, and decide that doing something that they don't like doing as some ridiculous value, but that's a different issue.

Well, what do you expect when even the cheap store brand dino oil sells for $5 a qt?

The local quick lube charges 29.99 for a change with 5qts 5w30 or 5w20 conventional. Anything different costs more, and they don't touch Euro cars according to my friend who works there. That place is busy constantly and they are the cheapest around.

I change the oil on a family friend's 2009 Escape since the Ford dealer was charging her $100 every 5000 miles for 5 qts of 5w20 conventional.

VW charges $90 for synthetic oil/filter changes on my GTI. That includes 6 quarts. I'll be paying it exactly 6 times, after that the warranty is up anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back