Cost Of Keys On Late-Model Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's 2010 Altima V6 came with two Nissan Intelligent Keys. These are "smart keys," since the vehicle has a push-button start system.

As a family tradition, we always have four or five keys for each vehicle. Is it truly necessary? Nope, but they have come in handy over the years.

The Altima is no exception. So, I set out on a mission to purchase and program two more intelligent keys.

Of course, I learned right away that the key programming must be done with a Nissan CONSULT-III scan tool and through an internal Nissan system for security purposes. So, that means I must pay a dealer 1/2 to 1 hour labor for programming.

Luckily, I can purchase two new Nissan Intelligent Keys from a Nissan dealer on eBay for $92 shipped. The cheapest local dealer wants $70 to cut the metal inserts and program the two keys, which brings my total to $162. Not bad, I guess.

So, while $162 isn't too bad (as I've definitely heard of higher numbers), it is definitely a lot more than what the simple old school keys costed. Anyway, have any of you had to purchase new keys for your late-model? If so, how much did it cost you?

Thanks!

i sell a lot of keys at work and anything involving programming the customer does not get out the door for less than $175.

o and since i am in CA i am supposed to have a photocopy of the drivers license and registration for every key i cut. if they dont match, customer does not get a key. also helps that ford only keeps key codes in their system for 10 years to the day, older than that and its off to a locksmith to have them make a key based on a lock cylinder.

Local Ford dealer will give you a cut, chipped key for $20 and let you program it yourself. If they do it, it is $100.

For my Malibu, it still has GM Passlock which means no chip. The dealer would cut me as many keys as I wanted for a flat $25.

I bought 3 keys for my 07 Silverado off of Ebay for under $50. Since I did not buy the truck from my local dealer I first went around to the local hardware stores just wanting the keys cut, I could program them myself. No one would even touch them. They said they do not cut smart keys. Went to the local dealer and asked the service manager to just cut them and he said he would for free.

A spare key for my 2004 Silverado was $1.07 at the local home improvement superstore. Same for my 2002 Honda Goldwing.

Isn't progress grand?

I know, this is ridiculous. For my older cars, I have bought OEM keys off the Internet and the local dealer has cut them using the key codes, for free. The last time I forced them to take a buck per key just to make me feel better.

It'l like my friend's car with a laser cruise control. The sensor is down low in the front bumper (guess what happens) and you can't buy the faceplate separate to the unit. The dealer wants $1000 to repair it! When did we decide that lasers were necessary for a cruise control?

Dispos-a-cars.
When the manufacturer decides to stop supporting them with parts and service, you're pretty much S.O.L. unless you're into reverse engineering things.

Makes me want to just buy a 60's-something VW Beetle.
It's not that I'm against technology or that I don't understand it. It's just a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking to a local locksmith. If you lose your keys and you're away from home or don't have access to a spare, he'll cut and program a key for you on the fly at a very reasonable price of $400. Sounds expensive but keep in mind that he doesn't have the original key to replicate.

I got a key cut at a local dealership for my 2004 Silverado for $10.00. The guy cutting the key said if it had the chip, it would have cost me $140.00 per key. Keyless remotes are $160.00 each for it.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I got a key cut at a local dealership for my 2004 Silverado for $10.00. The guy cutting the key said if it had the chip, it would have cost me $140.00 per key. Keyless remotes are $160.00 each for it.

But will it run without the chip? My Camry has keyless push button starting (car, of course, senses the remote in your pocket) Hidden inside the long edge of the remote, Leatherman-style, is a metal key meant for door opening only. I have extras of that made for emergency entry into the vehicle, but only that. I thought keys like you describe had to have the chip, or they'd be entry-only too. Am I missing something?

Maybe we should just return to the days when stealing cars was easier. Might end up being cheaper that way...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

But will it run without the chip? My Camry has keyless push button starting (car, of course, senses the remote in your pocket) Hidden inside the long edge of the remote, Leatherman-style, is a metal key meant for door opening only. I have extras of that made for emergency entry into the vehicle, but only that. I thought keys like you describe had to have the chip, or they'd be entry-only too. Am I missing something?

Maybe we should just return to the days when stealing cars was easier. Might end up being cheaper that way...
smirk2.gif

The keys for my truck don't have any chips in them, thankfully. I can use them for opening the door locks as well, but I usually use the remote. There is no push-button starting for it, it has the key start on the steering collum.

The keys for our 03 Ford Expedition are now $45 a piece (Previously $60). but because we have an aftermarket alarm system installed, the simple remote is $120 and the fancy one is in the neighborhood of $200, which is why I don't have a set for myself.

The automakers have discovered another aftermarket cash cow for their dealers.

Each year, I'm more seriously considering having a 32 Ford built for me, brand new, for $30K, and get away from this rediculous stranglehold of technology.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

smirk2.gif

Most cars are stolen because the keys were left inside.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The automakers have discovered another aftermarket cash cow for their dealers.

Each year, I'm more seriously considering having a 32 Ford built for me, brand new, for $30K, and get away from this rediculous stranglehold of technology.
That '32 Ford might not fare well in an accident.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
There doesn't appear to be anything special with the key for my 2008 F-150 4x4 rental either.

Actually you'll find it is a chip key that requires programming after it is cut to start your truck. My father found this this out the hardway on his '02 Ranger, $107 taxes in, they quoted $115 for 2 told him he should have got the second, wouldn't listen. My '09 is the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back