Cost analysis of dino vs mobil 1 over 400k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I am finding out it may not be so great to have an engine that lasts forever if everthing else begins to go south. Th nickel and dime repairs are now $300-$800 repairs. Engine runs great, the rest of the components falling apart. The ole question of when to replace a car is coming up for me. Only 153,000 miles but new radiator this week, everything else OEM still but may need a head gasket. Guess it beats $20-$30,000 though

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
As I am finding out it may not be so great to have an engine that lasts forever if everthing else begins to go south. Th nickel and dime repairs are now $300-$800 repairs. Engine runs great, the rest of the components falling apart. The ole question of when to replace a car is coming up for me. Only 153,000 miles but new radiator this week, everything else OEM still but may need a head gasket. Guess it beats $20-$30,000 though

That's just it, once a car is paid off, even if you have to shell out $1000 in repairs every few months, it's still cheaper than spending $20 to $30k on a new car, plus taxes and interest on the financing. I said this same thing to my mom a few weeks ago, her 94 Probe GT has 133k on it and has been fully paid off for a long time now. Every few months she ends up with a repair costing her a few hundred. The last one was her exhaust, costing her just under $300. But if she buys a new car she'll spend $500 a month every single month. Right now she's not spending even 1/4 of that amount keeping her car going. And she still loves her Probe GT too, even after almost ten years (she bought it in Nov 93) I guess that's the key, if you truly still love driving the car, it's worth it to keep it going. That's the way I feel about Firebirds. I may not still have this current one in 5 years, since I badly want to get back into another LS1 powered Firebird, but once I get back into that one, it'll be a keeper for a very very long time (until I can afford a Corvette!)

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:

But when you go to sell it, if its got a good engine/trans then someone will buy it. If the the engine is toast, you are SOL in getting a few bucks out of it.

Or, in line with HD service, stay well-ahead of usual service intervals and replace wearing components BEFORE they wear out.

Don't wait for it to break in other words.

All of the plastic and wiring ought to be good for 12+years, do what it takes to keep the rest going for 150-200,000 miles.

If, over twenty-five years I only go thru two vehicles versus three or more, then the savings are obvious. (Well, maybe not in the land of "gotta have a new one" and coming up with excuses to justify it . . am I the only one who has to keep from laughing at the justifications folks use in why they got rid of the "old one"?)

Old vs. New! New! vs. Used? Keep a vehicle for more than the three year lease period?

Wake up, people! By making the cars more expen$ive to buy, insure, maintain and repair the poeple who think "They Know Best!" are just putting a New! car or truck powered by the evil internal combustion engine out of the reach of the "average" person...

Who may or may not be a citizen.

Who may or may not have a job.

Who may or may not speak English.

Who may or may not have insurance. Or a license.

I wonder whether we who actually spend any time reading this Board are aware how fleeting and temporary this freedom we enjoy actually can be?

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Sorry!
offtopic.gif

Regarding 7500 mi dino oil changes for highway driven vehicles, I don't have any UOAs to give actual results, but my father's toyota previa has had that routine since new (1994), and currently has 145K miles, and doesnt use oil and starts liek it did on day 1.

All its life it has had toyota 10w-30 (first 80k) then kendall 10w-30 (rest of the time).

My father drives gently and pretty much nothing else has needed replacement except one set of brake pads and tires...

So 7500 mi dino changes work (even with older oils.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back