Cosmoline Questions

My 2018 Silverado just got it's 5th Krown treatment yesterday. I love this stuff, but it has its limitations, especially when used in exposed areas.

I'm thinking of using some Cosmoline in areas I'm particularly concerned about. So I have 2 questions:

Can Cosmoline be sprayed on "oily" surfaces that have already been treated with Krown?

Can Cosmoline be heated up and thinned with a solvent and sprayed with a small hand held garden/yard pump sprayer?

Not sure about the first question, but if you thin it out enough you don’t have to heat it up. We used to thin it with solvent from the parts wash tank (naptha I think? It smelled kind of like gasoline) and use a regular spray bottle. The solvent would evaporate leaving behind a layer of cosmoline.

I owned a 2018 Silverado, treated twice a year with fluid film, and I did apply something heavier in the higher exposure areas. I used white lithium grease. But I think Cosmoline would be excellent for the areas you’re thinking of. I’ve used it before and it’ll stick to anything. But I wouldn’t cut it with something, instead I’d buy it in the cans...spray it on, it’ll be very viscous at first, then it’ll quickly harden up and last a good year.

Read through this thread:

Read through this thread:

I read the entire thread. Interesting, but inconclusive. HOWEVER, my next new car will be sprayed with Cosmoline first.... I believe in this stuff and it needs a non-treated surface.

I'll stick with Krown and FF for my Silverado

Why not run a test sample area? See if it plays nice with your FF and then make the switch.

Back