Corvette owners and Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who drive Covettes should have a lot of experience with Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is put in at the factory and a lot of owners probably stay with Mobil 1. What do Corvette owners think of Mobil 1? Have they had any problems?

Good topic. I've been waiting to see some more UOA's of M1 in Vettes. There are two in the UOA section, one from Mobil and one from Amsoil that are both excellent. LS1's are easy on the oil. They also have a larger 6qt sump capacity. If you look at the LS1 study going on, it's not too far fetched to think 15k miles is attainable. Mobil 1 is definitely a great oil and is factory fill in many of the top vehicles. If I owned a C5, I'd run M1 10w-30 as my top choice. Maybe even a 0w-40. My friend is going to give me a sample of his oil at 5k miles. He races the **** out of his car. My other friend is going to mix D1 with M1 10w-30 to bumped the visc. up a bit. I'd add 15w-50 if it were mine. Should be interesting.

[ May 24, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

There is an oil poll going on at probably the most visited LS1 website on the web and probably 50% of those polled used Mobil 1 10W-30 with quite a few saying they mix 2 qts 15W-50 and 4 qts 10W-30. I think Mobil 1 is a great oil for the price and that is what I used in my LS1 until I found this website and am now using Schaeffer's 10W-30 PAO Blend.

BTW In late 2001 all FBody LS1 Camaro and Firebird's were factory filled with 5W-30 Mobil 1 and continued up until the end of production in Aug 2002.

Judging by the posts on the Corvette forum, I'd say that most of the people there use Mobil 1 over anything else.

The reason they aren't that back on oil is because you have to add around a half a quart of oil per 1k miles. The ls1's like to eat oil for dinner.
grin.gif

There are also other people besides the Corvette owners who use Mobil 1 in their cars, trucks, vans and SUVs. Vehicles driven under different conditions. It would be interesting to see what they think about Mobil 1.

I was shocked to see what tmgxray said about LS1 Corvettes using so much oil. Can this be normal? I would consider such oil consumption not normal in a typical car, truck, van or SUV.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
There are also other people besides the Corvette owners who use Mobil 1 in their cars, trucks, vans and SUVs. Vehicles driven under different conditions. It would be interesting to see what they think about Mobil 1.

I was shocked to see what tmgxray said about LS1 Corvettes using so much oil. Can this be normal? I would consider such oil consumption not normal in a typical car, truck, van or SUV.

I think the oil consumption in the ls1's gets a bad rap. Just like anything else, you always hear about the people having problems. Not everyone with an ls1 has oil consumption problems. I have an ls1 engine in my trans am and I would consider my oil consumption normal in my car. A lot of it depends on how the car is driven, the more you beat on it, the more oil it is going to use. Personally, I think part of the problem is running mobil 1. It is much too thin imo for the ls1. There has been discussion about the rings on the ls1's and I think gm will replace the rings if you have excessive consumption. This was a result of the 2001 z06 vette's with the ls6 and some guys were using a quart of oil every 500 miles. However, some don't use a drop. Lots to read on the ls1 boards about oil consumption and the mysterious piston slap.

Corvette owners are VERY loyal people. Most will use what GM tells them and they will believe it is the best no matter what.

(I used to work for a company that dealt strictly with C5s. We tried to sell Redline, but it did not work so well. To them... its Mobil 1 and only Mobil 1.)

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:
Corvette owners are VERY loyal people. Most will use what GM tells them and they will believe it is the best no matter what.

(I used to work for a company that dealt strictly with C5s. We tried to sell Redline, but it did not work so well. To them... its Mobil 1 and only Mobil 1.)

I doubt that is true. The few people I know with Vetts are very independent and wealthy people. They didn't get where they are by being stupid "sheep". Again thats only an opinion-like anything else on this board
smile.gif

I here about LS1 oil consumption but I have not seen any oil use whats0ever in my 2002 Trans Am, nor my 2001 GMC 5.3L engine (same family design as LS1).

My car was built around the time they started installing Mobil 1 at the assembly plant and the OEM oil I drained appeared to be a good quality oil and I believe it was Mobil 1. I did not use Mobil but Amsoil 10W-30 (used Amsoil) since 1997) when I changed oil around 1200 miles because it was going in storage for 6 months. Since then, I only change oil once a year, every October before I park it for the winter. Nearing 10,000 miles and the oil level has always stayed in the same place. I don't abuse the car either, never lite up the tires as of yet nor red-lined it and never plan to.

I heard of one guy who complained his Camaro SS was burning oil and he also was complaining that his tires were no good since they were going bald around 15,000 miles. So you know he is burning rubber probably every time he takes off. My 1970 Chevelle SS454 (new in 1970) used to use hardly any oil till I started driving it hard, 2 of 3 drag races and it was down a quart of oil. That was normal for the engine per Chevy at the time. Drive easy, no problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:

I doubt that is true. The few people I know with Vetts are very independent and wealthy people. They didn't get where they are by being stupid "sheep". Again thats only an opinion-like anything else on this board
smile.gif

I disagree Al. I wouldn't call the owners sheep, but one thing I constantly run into is that the manufacturer must know best, and if they choose to use Mobil 1 then that must be the best oil out there. Porsche is the other company people always point to as well. We both know that reasoning is a bunch of crap for many reasons, but I do run into that issue all the time.

quote:

Originally posted by mdv:
I disagree Al. I wouldn't call the owners sheep, but one thing I constantly run into is that the manufacturer must know best, and if they choose to use Mobil 1 then that must be the best oil out there. Porsche is the other company people always point to as well. We both know that reasoning is a bunch of crap for many reasons, but I do run into that issue all the time.

I just love question begging arguments. I can state numerous reasons why believing that the oil the manufacturer puts in at the factory is the best oil for that application. Please tell us why that reasoning is a bunch of crap. Thanks.

mdv,

I think it more like, who could give them what they want for the best price. I suppose the fact that they come with Goodyear tires would make them the best too. And since they come with AC Delco oil and air filters, they would be best too.

I think it more because Mobil has a big contract with GM to sell them lubricants for other makes and models that they went to Mobil 1 when they were experiencing engine problems in the Vette's LS1 (all aluminum engines) years back.

While the may say they built cars to last, they really don't hope they do. It would hurt sales to much, they build they to give a satisfactory service life
crushedcar.gif
, not to short and not too long. So you will come back in the future and buy again (hopefully).
wink.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
mdv,

I think it more like, who could give them what they want for the best price. I suppose the fact that they come with Goodyear tires would make them the best too. And since they come with AC Delco oil and air filters, they would be best too.

I think it more because Mobil has a big contract with GM to sell them lubricants for other makes and models that they went to Mobil 1 when they were experiencing engine problems in the Vette's LS1 (all aluminum engines) years back.

While the may say they built cars to last, they really don't hope they do. It would hurt sales to much, they build they to give a satisfactory service life
crushedcar.gif
, not to short and not too long. So you will come back in the future and buy again (hopefully).
wink.gif
patriot.gif

Exactly. I was trying to say just that but didn't quite put it so well. I believe it does all come down to marketing agreements. By using Mobil 1 in the Corvette for example, the consumer feels they are getting a premium product (they are) and that this is a good oil to use for their high performance baby (it is). I disagree with Mobil 1 being the BEST choice however. I believe GM chose Mobil 1 because Exxon-Mobil offered them the best bang for the buck that consumers would accept. People who blindly believe that the automakers know best astound me. As you pointed out, they are in the business of making and selling new cars, not helping owners realize the maximum service life out of their products. All they have to do is create products that last long enough to satisfy the majority of the consumer's expectations and all is well as far as they are concerned.

quote:

I can state numerous reasons why believing that the oil the manufacturer puts in at the factory is the best oil for that application. Please tell us why that reasoning is a bunch of crap. Thanks.

We could both reply endlessly along this line, as it is mostly opinion. For one example, Corvettes come with M1 form the factory. There are analysis reports out there with other brands that show equal or better results. The whole Ford/Honda 5W-20 argument is another example. Admittedly, there are some excellent reports on some of the 5W-20's out there, but are they the best choice? Ford is adamant about not using anything but a 5W-20 in a lot of their engines now or else they state they will deny warranty coverage as they do not recommend other weights. Yet there are plently of analysis results on these engines using the "too thick" 5W-30's out there. If Ford and Honda knew best in this case, why aren't the engines running the 5W-30 or thicker oils having lubrication related problems?

In the Corvette Chevy has a special oil fill cap with the Mobil 1 Logo and a statement. Special Lubricant Required part number in case you want to buy one is 12555685. Isn't it nice Chevy would give Mobil 1 that free advertising;)

Mike, I doubt it's free. I assume Mobil 1 has paid Chevrolet, Porsche, AMG and others ...

... just like race teams are paid for oil sponsorship.

There's just no tacky decal involved with the Mobil 1 and the street cars.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
mdv,

crushedcar.gif
wink.gif
patriot.gif

Well, I know in the case of Porsche and AMG, the engineers behind the powerplants worked with Mobil engineers in developing the engines based on their lubrication requirements and what Mobil 1 could provide. In the case of Porsche, Shell's Helix lost the contract because Prosche found Mobil 1 better. As for Chevy, who knows with them. Perhaps it was just marketing.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mdv:
I disagree with Mobil 1 being the BEST choice however.

Well....actually what is a better choice(OTC). Let's face it-they are not gonna recommend Amsoil or Shaeffers or even Redline. Remember it needs to be API

quote:

Well....actually what is a better choice(OTC). Let's face it-they are not gonna recommend Amsoil or Shaeffers or even Redline. Remember it needs to be API

Al is right. Mobil could build a non-API oil and mop the floor with Amsoil if they felt like it. The fact is though, through UOA's other oils have not been found to be better. I'd still take M1 10w-30 over almost any oil on the market. Marketing has something to do with it, but the bottom line is Mobil 1 is a great product, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back