Corvette guys question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Mobile 1. How many miles between oil/filter changes do you recommended. Normal easy driving with good warm-up before higher rpm's. combo of local and highway but normally complete engine warm-up before shut-off. Live in Vegas.

Bewteen 5k and 7.5k miles with that oil.

5k if you feel that changing it then will provide you with a margin of safety.

7.5k when you realize that it won't.

Well, my 1998 Corvette (C5 Generation, LS1) runs 5,500-6,000 miles on Mobil 1 until my OLM goes to zero.

BUT, they later changed the OLM based on service information (UOAs). They increased the base from 10,000 miles maximum to 15,000 miles, a 50% increase. I used the original OLM until I went to Castrol Edge, then I went to 150%.

So, I guess 8,250-9,000 miles would be my estimate. Note that I drive very conservatively, I probably only have redlined my car 5 times !

I have 138,709 miles on my Corvette.

On my other cars, I go 7500 miles with synthetic. I have changed to Pennzoil Platinum for them.

On a side note, I was getting high lead readings in my Corvette when using Mobil 1, changing to Castrol Edge lowered them by 66%.

I have 138,709 miles on my Corvette and it only uses a 1/4 quart of oil each oil change. (My Murano has 123K miles, Impala 117K, Chevy Van 103K miles and no engine problems with any of them.).

Last edited:
Quote:
normally complete engine warm-up before shut-off

I try to let the engine (oil) completely warm up before turning it off as well. Is good practice. Usually runs for 20 minutes, gets the job done.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Well, my 1998 Corvette (C5 Generation, LS1) runs 5,500-6,000 miles on Mobil 1 until my OLM goes to zero.

BUT, they later changed the OLM based on service information (UOAs). They increased the base from 10,000 miles maximum to 15,000 miles, a 50% increase. I used the original OLM until I went to Castrol Edge, then I went to 150%.

So, I guess 8,250-9,000 miles would be my estimate. Note that I drive very conservatively, I probably only have redlined my car 5 times !

I have 138,709 miles on my Corvette.

On my other cars, I go 7500 miles with synthetic. I have changed to Pennzoil Platinum for them.

On a side note, I was getting high lead readings in my Corvette when using
Mobil 1, changing to Castrol Edge lowered them by 66%.

I have 138,709 miles on my Corvette and it only uses a 1/4 quart of oil each oil change. (My Murano has 123K miles, Impala 117K, Chevy Van 103K miles and no engine problems with any of them.).

High lead eh with mobil 1. It seems that mobil 1 routinely has higher wear metals than other oils however we are talking in ppm so will that equate to shorter engine life,perhaps,or this particular engine may just shed metals.
Personally I'd use the oil that helped the engine shed less metals,but over the life of a vehicle it's likely just noise and will not affect longevity.

Old big blocks did not need changing much.
Why? they used a qt every 800-1200 miles and there was a perpetual oil change going on.

OP - Mine is a "new" 2008" bought it new off the showroom floor 2/15/2012 it had around 200 miles on it new car never been titled, came with a 3 year 36 k mile warranty and the 5 year 100k mile drivetrain warranty. Changed oil and did UOA at 700 miles, came back good, even though it was the factory fill and had been in the Vette for 4 1/2 years. Did the next oil change at 4k miles it came back normal. Now have about 7.5k miles, figured I would change at 10k miles, or 6k miles on the mobil 1 5w30 oil and do another oil analysis. Bought the Vette in Maui Hawaii we are now in Vegas. Weather is a little different but this time of the year it is not that hot. Figure 7k will end up being normal change interval or one year which ever comes first to cover my butt warranty wise.

Congrats on the car. I would run M1 like you plan and then do a uoa like you plan. Then I would change to amsoil; run it the same way. Then run another uoa. See which has less wear and better figures. Then you could try one of the Pennzoil products and repeat. The problem is for the first 20-30k your uoa can/will be useless since the car will be breaking in still. Whichever oil your run in the first 10k miles could possibly be worse simply because it is the first oil. Your uoa might tell you the second oil is better when in fact the car is just shedding less metal. I've never had a problem with M1 and GM says 5w30. In your climate that is a great choice and you'll stay in warranty too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back