Corrosive Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best cleaning and lubrication for weapons using corrosive ammo?

I've an AK74 with which I use surplus russian ammo which has corossive primers.

Right now I pour a tea-kettle full of boiling water through the receiver/barrel/gas tube, then clean with Hoppes, and lube with a few drops of Dexron VI.

This seems to work - no visible rust.

Are there any other better/different/easier ways of cleaning corossive residue?

I use janitorial strength ammonia, from Ace Hardware, to kill the coeeosive salts. Just push one patch through the bore w/ the ammonia, wait about a minute, then finish cleaning w/ homemade( Ed's Red) cleaner/lubricant. This has worked for me for over a decade.

I think you could just use a good cleaner and oil.

I like Remington SHOT GUN cleaner. It comes in a big spray can. Just spray the firearm down, scrub scrub, spray again, scrub scrub. Towel down/dry.

Then a light spray of Remington RemOil.

Should do the job well.

Take a bottle of Windex to the range with you. A good couple of sprays in the barrel from the muzzle and then the breech a shot or 2 in the receiver at the end of the shoot. Clean with hot soapy water and rince well when you get home. Finish up with your favorite CLP products.

+1 on the windex. I have a old russian gun and couldent find good ammo when I got it so I bought some sort of armanian surplus stuff that was corrosive. An old timer at the range told me to use the windex when using corrosive ammo. If not im sure #9 will get it out. I dont use #9 any more because the fumes make me feel sick so I just use simple green.

You need to use an ammonia based cleaner, such as pure ammonia or windex. This is well known in the corrosive shooting rifle circle.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I don't see why any good lube shouldn't work. Most lubes are alkaline.

Someone please explain why something like Breakfree CLP or Rem Oil would not work.

What about an action cleaner?

I don't believe that it's acid that's the problem, but the salts like Potassium Chloride left after the primer does it's thing.

I believe that water is the best way of getting it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back