corrosion vs friction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, thanks MGBV8. It looks like I may not have heated the oil up hot enough according to that article. I will try that and see what happens.

For the penny-thread followers,

I have news of the bathroom penny experiment today that just scares me. As a reminder, a drop (about 3 microliters) of Redline 5W30 (or separately AutoRx) was placed on the back of a shiney new penny and an old brown penny. The pennies were then placed in my bathroom so that the ester oils would see humidity. There is no addition heat in this experiment. And, there are no controls. This is just an observation. The Redline is turning green on both pennies without either penny appearing to change color. I have tried to get a picture, but I can't get the right light angle to see the green on top of the brown. At the end of experiment I will blot the oil onto white paper. The green will show up then. I don't know what any of this really means - especially in the face of the experiment noted above that I ran for JAG (Havoline also turned green on the back of a penny with heat). My original hypothesis was that the shiney penny (low oxidation) would oxidize and the brown penny would remain mostly unchanged. I don't think that any conclusions can be drawn from this observation..just thought someone here may be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back