Correlation between 2-Ethylhexanoic acid and Solder corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least in the past European G12 and G12+ usually contained two OAT inhibitors and one of them was 2-EHA (potassium 2-ethyl hexanoate or sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate). I don't already remember exactly, but seems this was also relevant to G30, G33 and G34. Honda Type 2 and Toyota Longlife are free from 2-EHA salts. Suppose Mazda FL22 doesn't contain it too.

I asked about this in another forum, and it seems that nowadays they don't contain 2-Eha anymore ( VW G coolants )

Other sources say they never had 2-Eha in the first place.

The G12++ i am using currently and the current G13 don't seem to have it, ( according to most of the sources i've found )

….Honda Type 2 and Toyota Longlife are free from 2-EHA salts. Suppose Mazda FL22 doesn't contain it too. ….
Currently no 'true' Asian PHOAT AF uses 2eha as inhibitor, that includes but not limited to all the Asian OEM AFs. WM Valvoline Asian Vehicle, ZAF, Pentofrost A2, A3&4 same. Peak Global Lifetime is a long service interval OAT AF with no 2eha.

That said, in new cars designed and spec'd for DexCool I'd have no concern about using it. The biggest issue according to the SAE paper linked, is incompatible gaskets, O-rings, and hoses. GM often noted for that with the LIM gaskets also use with non pressurized recovery tanks.

https://www.scribd.com/document/375...T-Antifreeze-for-Longer-Service-Interval

Perhaps 2eha was an issue with solder in older vehicles. As topic linked paper is from 1993, that could make sense. In new cars designed for DexCool, imo not an issue. The issue Ford seems to be having with their Orange Dex, doesn't appear imply solder issues. And afaik GM still using Dex in everything.

There have been several posts on this sub forum in discussions saying some of the Euro AFs use 2eha as inhibitor. Not being as familiar with them, can't say one way or the other.

If to judge by MSDS and other sources, G12 and G12+ contained 2-EHA and still contain it:

Comma G12 TL 774D
Comma G12 TL 774D (more detailed for another country)
MOFIN G12+ TL 774F

G12++ and G13 contain 2-EHA too:

MOFIN G12++ TL 774G
Motul G13 TL 774J

Interesting that TL 774G may differ: MOFIN G12++ contains 2-EHA, but Penrite which is G40 is free from it:

Penrite Red VW TL 774G - Glysantin® G40®

Other three Glysantin® with 2-EHA:

Penrite Blue TL 774 D/F - Glysantin® G30®
BASF Glysantin® G34®
BASF Glysantin® G48®

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
….Honda Type 2 and Toyota Longlife are free from 2-EHA salts. Suppose Mazda FL22 doesn't contain it too. ….
Currently no 'true' Asian PHOAT AF uses 2eha as inhibitor, that includes but not limited to all the Asian OEM AFs.

In this case Honda Type 2 coolant would have to change its name. So, I don't buy rumors and generalizations. For me it's 2-EHA free until somebody shows me 2-EHA in MSDS or a confirmation from Honda.

Coolant Confusion: It's Not Easy Being Green ... or Yellow or Orange or ...

And the problem with 2-EHA is not only a solder.

Last edited:
It's really confusing.... i've read online on various sites that only Glysantin G33 type coolants still contain 2-Eha....

It really looks like it varies from one manufacturer to another, some do have it other do not, Motul may have it, and for example as you said Penrite does not.

At least the AD Parts AD40 G12++ i am using right now makes no mention of 2-Eha in the TDS or SDS, so i guess it doesn't have any.

And yes i am aware that 2-Eha is not only bad for solder, but also rubber hoses and such.

Last edited:
No idea why Honda Type 2 premix would need to change it's name. As noted, it's a true Asian Phoat/Asian OEM AF, used by Honda for quite some time. As such and noted it does not use 2eha inhibitor. Same goes for current Toyota SLL pink, Subaru LLSC blue, Nissan LL blue, Mazda FL22, like Type2 all premixes.

As for 04 Motor Mag link, been posted many times in this subforum. In 2010 Motor Mag did a follow up with a more recent information. The oft posted SAE article previously linked more recent than both.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/cooling-system-service/

Sayjac,
I am sorry, but it would be contreproductive for both of us to go into discussion and search to prove something without facts. If you believe that today Honda Type 2 is not 2-EHA free, this is your opinion and you have right to make your choice. As for myself, for the moment I have nothing to add.

...If you believe that today Honda Type 2 is not 2-EHA free....
Clearly you've not understood both my posts as nowhere did I say Honda Type 2 used 2eha as inhibitor. To the contrary, both times said just the opposite, quoting my last post regarding Type 2 "As such and noted it does not use 2eha inhibitor" . You are correct about one thing though, counterproductive at this point to continue the discussion when you've twice misinterpreted and/or misstated the information provided. Have a good one.

Sayjac, I'm sorry for my misinterpretation, if any, but a quite convoluted style allows an unprepared reader to misinterpret. Ask a lawyer
grin2.gif
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back