Correct oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's going on everybody? Since I have ULEV-VTEC, Energy Conserving the oil cap says to use 5W-20. If I chose to use 10W-30 Mobil 1, fully synthetic would it be detrimental to my engine? The car is an Accord 01' LX and it has 38k miles on it, I'm a spirted driver so I like to get the best performance out of the car. What do you guys recommend I do? I was told that it was fine but then I just wanted to double check. So what's the difference between 5W-20 when compared to 10W-30, is 5W-20 thicker so it burns slower or what? Thanks guys.

welcome.gif

I would think the thicker Mobil 1 10w30 would perform fine year round. It should hold up very well under the spirited driving and also flow well in winter cold starts. What oil has been run in the car up until now?

You may want to study this chart, which will show you the thickness of various grades of motor oil.

I'd imagine 5W-20 or 5W-30, which is currently in there. Is it detrimental to have 5W-30 or even 10W-30 in my engine, since it calls for 5W-20? Could I use 10W-30 Mobil 1 fully synthetic without there being any damage to my vehicle? thanks.

The simple answer to your question is "no". The lightweight oils are required for CAFE and not because of any changes in tolerances or clearances. For me, personally, I go for wear protection first.

Oh yes, I know about the UOAs. But when it comes to my cars............

If you're afraid of the 5w-20, I'd go with 5w-30 in Mobil 1 for a little better flow at start-up since you're in NJ. Arizona would be different. The 5w-30 Mobil 1 holds up very well.

quote:

Originally posted by RechaniM87:
I'd imagine 5W-20 or 5W-30, which is currently in there. Is it detrimental to have 5W-30 or even 10W-30 in my engine, since it calls for 5W-20? Could I use 10W-30 Mobil 1 fully synthetic without there being any damage to my vehicle? thanks.

Detrimental to your engine to run a 5w-30 or 10w-30? IMHO, no.

Detrimental to your engine's fuel economy to run a 5w-30 or 10w-30? Yes, you'll likely see slightly lower fuel economy with a 5w-30 or 10w-30 when compared to the same engine/car running a 5w-20.

LOTS of message threads on 5w-20 versus 5w-30/10w-30 in the archives, some simple searches will turn them up. Happy reading!

Here's my quick take:
1. You are unlikely to notice a difference in engine longevity between 5W20 and 5W30 in *any* car that uses an engine that has been specced for 5W30.
2. You are unlikely to notice a difference in fuel economy between 5W20 and 5W30 unless you are a fleet manager responsible for paying the gasoline bills for dozens of vehicles. I have seen numbers as low as a .3% annual difference in fuel economy. For me, driving 18000 miles a year in a car that makes 25 MPG, that means the cost of chosing 5W20 vs 5W30 is less than a $6 annual economic decision. Not worth worrying about.
3. If you have a car in warranty, run exactly what the dealer says to run for exactly the oil change interval the manual says to run it.

My car is off of warranty, it just came off in October. The car currently has 38k miles on it and I've heard from people that said if you haven't used full synthetic oil since you've started to change the oil then it will cause problems with engine. I'm a newbie to all oil terms, oil #'s, pretty much anything having to do outside of changing my oil and knowing how to do it I know absolutely nothing. I've only had the car for a little over a year, there has been 2 owners and I'm one of them. I'm guessing she got whatever honda gave to her, since it was under warranty for about 3 years. The oil cap says to use 5W-20 and there's currently 5W-30 in there right now.

In about 900 miles (3k of using the oil all together) I plan on changing it, I'm just trying to learn my fair share of knowledge on oil altogether since this is my first car and I want to know what I'm doing in the future.

I'm 100% sure I saw Mobil 1 10W-30, fully synthetic at Wal-mart the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw 5W-30 also. What would you guys recommend I use from now on, since I cannont find 5W-20 really. I just want to make sure it's not absolutely crucial that I use 5W-20 and if not then I want to know what's the best possible kind I can use for the engine. I will start looking in the archives after I get this settled
smile.gif
. thanks

I see that you are itching to experiment.

Here's what you should do. At your next oil change, change it to 5W-20. The brand is pretty much irrelevant if you stick to 5k mile interval for good conventional oil or Honda recommended interval for good synthetic oil for normal driving conditions.

See if you like the performance of the car. If you like it, then stick to 5W-20.

You will not harm your engine with that oil.

I would not use 10W-30 oil in a Honda engine - 5W-30 is the thickest I would go.

BTW, good synthetic oil for me is anything except Valvoline
smile.gif

What's the difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30, will I gain more with 5W-30 or what? Well since there was 5W-30 in this time would it be alright if I went back to 5W-20 or what?

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Quote:
I would not use 10W-30 oil in a Honda engine - 5W-30 is the thickest I would go.

We all want to know why you feel 10W-30 is too thick.

Because CAFE and the EPA have dumbed down the American public? 10w-30 is thinner during the summer than 5w-30 during the winter at starting temps.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Quote:

We all want to know why you feel 10W-30 is too thick.

Beacuse 10W is thicker in cold temperatures?

quote:

I'm 100% sure I saw Mobil 1 10W-30, fully synthetic at Wal-mart the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw 5W-30 also. What would you guys recommend I use from now on, since I cannont find 5W-20 really.

Wally-World here has an good selection of 5w-20's, though sadly the great Motorcraft oil is gone. I just got some Mobil 1 5w-20 there for the wife's car, although in quarts and not the better-priced 5 qt. jug. AutoZone's selection is even better, Motorcraft among others including Havoline. It has been said many times that Mobil 1 5w-30 is on the thin side of a 30, so it won't kill you to run that if you want to save $5.00 with the Wal-Mart jug.

quote:

My car is off of warranty, it just came off in October. The car currently has 38k miles on it and I've heard from people that said if you haven't used full synthetic oil since you've started to change the oil then it will cause problems with engine.

This is false. Quaker State has this to say about this subject:
quote:

Myth #4

You can't switch from synthetic oil to conventional oil or vice versa.

You need to start with a synthetic blend for a few oil changes before moving to full synthetic oil.

Once you start using synthetic motor oil you cannot go back to conventional oil.

Synthetic and conventional engine oils can't be mixed, or else they react and cause engine problems.

Fact
As long as the synthetic motor oil product and conventional motor oil product meet the viscosity and performance requirements outlined in the vehicle’s owner’s manual, you may interchange them with each other.

Link here:
http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/whattoknow.asp

Beacuse 10W is thicker in cold temperatures?

10W-30 is serviceable to 0 degrees, but that was not my original question.

My question is in response to poster kloppilt's comments
What's wrong with 10W-30 in a Honda?

quote:

So 5W-20's the best possible solution?

Unless you have a specific plan or goals for this engine, which includes UOA's to measure the performance, a "best possible solution" probably does not exist.

Obviously, many Accord owner's are running 5W-20 dino's & synthetics in these engines with no problems. On a similar note, a 5W-30 viscosity is also a common choice and will not generate any problems.

Suggest you wander over to the Used Oil Analysis forum & plug Honda Accord into the search feature to see some of the choices run by other Accord owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back