Correct fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, On Sunday morning a kid will travel 90 miles round trip to see a 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic which I'm selling for a neighbor. That the vehicle will have 75,200 miles on it and has had exemplary maintenance is all I need tell you. It is not a perfect car, just extremely good. The asking price is quite fair given the level of maintenance and its condition.

This would be his first car and he'll be attending auto tech school come Autumn. The lad and I have communicated and he loves the Caprice of that era (1991 to 1996). I suggested aloud that there would likely be occasions when his car would be used in class for instructional purposes for this Caprice would be the only rear wheel drive car at the whole school.

All I want is the right car to go to the right fellow. Any tip I receive isn't going to turn me into lying car dealer, though I'd be lying if I said a no-sale wouldn't bother me. 16 people, 1 scammer and 1 insulter have contacted me. I do believe the vehicle's vintage has scared away many a shopper.

Wish everyone luck on this one as it's a case of matching a good, safe vehicle to the right buyer.

One woman called and told me her son, after owning 5 Caprices in a row, decided to buy a brand new car with a manual transmission. The tale continued with the son now suffering with a $550 car payment on a car he cannot drive because he destroyed the clutch in 2 months.

He would've been a good match. Kira

I think you should sell that car for the most you can get while being honest about the condition. As long as it's gone who cares how the next owner treats it. If it has sentimental value then just keep it. The kid going to auto tech school will probably be doing burnouts and it won't last long in his hands. And there are probably SUVs or trucks at his school that are RWD or AWD where concepts can be demonstrated on.

any idea what auto school? ( we talking HS Vocational, or an auto college?)
I just ask b/c we have an auto college here, UNOH , with constantly growing name recognition, that gets kids from all over the place (even started getting international students)They have parital sponsorships on probably a dozen or so nascar teams (across the 3 series), and are the name sponsor of a couple nationwide and truck races each year.

huh, also looks like they have a free class you can register for and take online OIL101: Fact or Fiction?
I wonder how it stacks up to the BITOG motor oil University:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Last edited:
To silverrat: You're right. Buy an 18 year old car-use an 18 year old car.
No sentimentality here. I guess I was just happy to move it for my kindly old neighbors.
Ha-Ha on me...the kid emailed last night with the message that he's not buying the car.

To ear lyre: Soffolk Community College in Farmingville, NY is where he said he was going. I have no familiarity as it is far from me. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back