Correct coolant for my 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
The head gasket is currently being replaced on my Land Cruiser and I need to purchase new coolant. The truck has always been run on regular green coolant to my knowledge for the past 26 years and 260,000 miles. The Land Cruiser has an all metal radiator that is very expensive and I want to preserve it!
Given the fact that regular green coolant is getting harder to find, I am interested in the best coolant for my truck. I have read horror stories of the wrong coolant eating away at the solder in all metal radiators, I want to avoid that at all costs.
It seems that some people are happy with the John Deere coolant. What is the chemical make up of that coolant ? Is it close to green? Would the John Deere cool guard II be a good/perfect fit for my truck? Any other ideas? Is a go5 coolant close to green?

Thanks,
Zack

Originally Posted By: cat843
Zerex G-05 should be good for your vehicle. I have used it in a Suburban and a Camry.

Anything on the John Deere coolant?

What exactly is G-05 ? Is it basically a modern version of green coolant?

Zack

I would stick with original green even if it has a shorter service life. G-05 would probably be an option but I prefer the green. I think Toyota started using their own coolant in around '88 but back then and before that just about everyone used regular green in them.

Bump...I am really interested in the John Deere coolant, any info o. What the JD coolant is? I assume the JD coolant is not a dex cool product? And also what is a G-05 coolant?

Thanks,
Zack

This thread has some info on Cool Gard II:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1696012

Cool Gard II and G-05 are both HOAT coolants and can be mixed, at least I have done so without any bad results. Neither one is a Dex-Cool related product.

I can't speak for your Land Cruiser, but Cool Gard works well in my truck. Had it been built a year earlier, it probably would have had green coolant, and no changes were made to the cooling system between those years. I replaced the radiator due to a cracked plastic tank and the old one was very clean inside. I just replaced the thermostat and got a good look inside the intake manifold, which was spotless. It looks brand new. My truck has had nothing but G-05 and Cool Gard II since new, original water pump, original heater core. The radiator was weakened by a front/side collision years ago and was not replaced due to coolant damage. The thermostat has only been replaced because the paper gasket at the water neck always gets brittle and starts to leak after a few years. Hoses are 100% original, and so is the heater control valve (common failure on older Fords). I think I would put G-05 or Cool Gard II in just about any normal automotive cooling system. It seems to work well and keep things clean if you don't let it get too old (over 5 years).

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Toyota RED is the correct coolant.

Not exactly...Toyota red did not even exist when my Cruiser was built. It may work, but not exactly what is correct. I am now leaning towards Zerex G-05, good choice?

Zack

Zerex G-05 should work well and you can get it at any Napa store. That's what I use when Cool Gard II isn't convenient to get. I've been mixing the two for the last two years with no issues.

Zerex also sells G-05 as concentrate if you prefer to add the water yourself. I have only seen Cool Gard II as premix.

Well I was at AAP today and they have Peak conventional green, $10.99 for 50/50 and $14.99 for full strength. I guess I'll go with the Peak.

Zack

Actually ended up with the Zerex traditional green that I purchased at Napa. I purchased three gallons of full strength along with three gallons of distilled water, so six gallons will be made. I glad I purchased what the truck was built with in the first place, I like the fact that I am not playing a guessing game with coolants. I would hate for a new type of coolant to eat away at my all metal radiator, that costs over $400.00 today to replace.

Zack

Both John Deere anti-freeze summer coolant TY16034 and TY16036 are pre-formulated with SCA's and do not require pre charging. If TY16036 has not used then water meeting the following quality specifications you can use.
Calcium magnesium 170 PPM
Chlorides 40 PPM
Sulfates 100 PPM
Total dissolved solids 340 PPM
PH level 5.5-9.0
I think this you was searching this so you can use the water also if you have above quality water.

Originally Posted By: AlbertStacy55
Both John Deere anti-freeze summer coolant TY16034 and TY16036 are pre-formulated with SCA's and do not require pre charging. If TY16036 has not used then water meeting the following quality specifications you can use.
Calcium magnesium 170 PPM
Chlorides 40 PPM
Sulfates 100 PPM
Total dissolved solids 340 PPM
PH level 5.5-9.0
I think this you was searching this so you can use the water also if you have above quality water.

brake service

Originally Posted By: Zack1978
Actually ended up with the Zerex traditional green that I purchased at Napa. I purchased three gallons of full strength along with three gallons of distilled water, so six gallons will be made. I glad I purchased what the truck was built with in the first place, I like the fact that I am not playing a guessing game with coolants. I would hate for a new type of coolant to eat away at my all metal radiator, that costs over $400.00 today to replace.

Zack

Zack, you made the right choice. Toyota Red will work and is good stuff, but you have to scrupulously flush the system. As for me, I wouldn't use anything but regular changes of old skool green in a 2F. And Zerex original seems to be about the best that's easily available... It's what's in my three LCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back