Corolla...oil comsumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a gas station Tuesday and there were these 2 Corollas. The owners were each were putting at least to 2 quarts of oil. One was late 90s and the other one was 2002. I talk to the owner of 2002 and said his car burn about 2 qaurts every 1000 miles when the weathers get hot. BTW it was about 97 F degrees that day.

I'm curious how many miles were on the car and what kind of maintenance schedule the car has experienced.
It doesn't matter what brand of car, that is too much oil consumption.
I'm also curious if the owner thought that is Toyota was a lemon or the best car on earth.

Some Corolla's around the 1997-2002 era burn a LOT of oil. The rings stick or give out...engines run just fine, they just use lots of oil.

Similar to Saturns - they are perfectly reliable cars, and don't even smoke much or at all, but you have to keep an eye on the oil level.

we had a 2000 PRIZM ( Corolla ) that started to burn oil in the 70,000 plus mile range . Made a change to synthetic at that point after discovering this site and the consumption increased . Went slowly back to conventional and it toned down . I think the oil burning had an impact on the catalytic converter as well . Had begun to loose some H.P.( sluggish ). Traded it in towards a '08 2 door YARIS liftback . Don't advise switching to a synthetic for a COROLLA , MATRIX , or PRIZM with fairly high mileage . Even though results may vary on the cars usage and care of .

forgot to mention we bought the PRIZM used with about 20,000 miles and was lease through G.M.. Paid $6,700 and was in mint condition at that time . Had oil changed around 4,000 mile interavals and anti-freeze about 50,000 miles . The car was used for motor route every weekend around 4 years . Sure that didn't help the matter . Overall it was quite dependable and got very good mileage . Best ever was 43 m.p.g.. It was a 5 speed manual and used REDLINE MT-90 with great results . Used MOBIL 1 A.T.F. for the power steering and that had amazing effect .

Last edited:
Consumption depends so much on how you drive and how you broke it in. ALSO, a large portion of the oil consumption problems can be fixed by changing out a $3 PCV. But people that sell oil normally don't tell the customer that.

changed the PCV in PRIZM ( Corolla ) and no difference in consumption .

Last edited:
Our 2000 Corolla has burned oil since about 100K, around 1-2 qts per 1500-2000 miles. Still runs fine and we've replaced the pcv, no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back