Cordless pole saw

I need a cordless pole saw. I have Milwaukee M18 batteries and Ryobi 18V batteries.

The Milwaukee has the motor in the base you hold on to and must drive a shaft through the Quik-Lok and up to the chain.

The Ryobi has the motor next to the chain.

I can see balance being an issue but having a direct drive motor to the saw chain seems better than the way Milwaukee does it.

Any recommendations?

I think the Milwaukee will be more versatile, and the motor may be a heavy-duty one, should you see a future need for a weed wacker or a hedge trimmer.

I have a Ryobi and it works great. Came with a extension piece to make it longer. I also have Ryobi pole saw.that runs on AC. I use them quite a lot

I think the Milwaukee will be more versatile, and the motor may be a heavy-duty one, should you see a future need for a weed wacker or a hedge trimmer.
In many cases things made for multiple uses make compromises. Maybe weight, balance, motor speed. I do not know exactly.

Does not look like you save much if any money. The attachments without the powerhead are not cheap.

I have an Oregon PS-250 battery pole saw. They put the motor part way up the shaft with the battery on the tail end. To me, it's light and has a pretty good balance considering. The 4.0 amp battery usually lasts longer than i do. Worth consideration.

I looked at this - then decided 75% of the time I can use an extension cord - my smallest generator otherwise
120v saws have a good punch per dollar … (and sick of expensive batteries going to heaven without me) …

Last edited:
I use a Ryobi 18V 8" bar pole saw, it's been more than satisfactory, even cutting 6"+ apple tree branches. I believe it expands to 9' length, plenty long. I have other Ryobi power tools and OPE's. I've purchasing additional 18V batteries from HomeDepot.com for real good discounts on multiple battery paks. It's a fraction of the price of buying a single battery. Sometimes buying a 2 pak is almost the same price as buying a single battery. You just have to keep checking their site. The stores usually offer good prices on the Ryobi battery multi paks at Christmas. Shop carefully because they offer different pricing on the same AH batteries.

Well I happen to find a used Craftsman 2 cycle pole saw and weed whacker on CL for $100. Got it today.

However I was up to the top of a 24' ladder with the pole saw and realized two things: 1) one has very little leverage to push down on the pole saw when it's 8' or 9' away on a pole while hanging on a ladder. 2) I assume the chain is dull. It did almost nothing.

Sounds like it needs a sharpen or new chain. I have the Craftsman pole saw attachment that goes onto a weed trimmer, and while heavy it usually cuts through branches pretty quick. Mine in an 8", and has a sharp Oregon chain.

Between Ryobi and Milwaukee I'd go milwaukee.

I like the motor at the base for extension work.

I have the makita 36V powerhead w- articulating hedge trimmer, pole saw, and string trimmer.

I haven't yet lost a Makita 18V battery.

I normally ratchet strap the ladder top - takes a couple minutes extra …
Ok now I am going to try a crazy with my quest to cut the branch. My plan is to carry a 6' step ladder up the 24' extension ladder and ratchet strap it to the tree basically on top of to the extension ladder so I can climb up another 6'. Then I can reach the branch and use a cordless chainsaw.

Ok now I am going to try a crazy with my quest to cut the branch. My plan is to carry a 6' step ladder up the 24' extension ladder and ratchet strap it to the tree basically on top of to the extension ladder so I can climb up another 6'. Then I can reach the branch and use a cordless chainsaw.
Call a tree guy. That's a crazy way to get easily hurt. What it will cost you getting hurt, if not dead, is more than you would be saving by not calling a tree service.

I just got slammed by the hurricane. I have an acre of oak trees that was destroyed and on the ground. I used an 18V brushless Ryobi 10” chainsaw and 18V 8” Ryobi pole saw over the course of 4 days to cut up the trees. To say I was impressed with the 18V Ryobi saws would be an understatement. I have a big Echo gas powered saw but I barely used it. The Ryobi saws ran nonstop for days and didn’t break down and just ran perfect. I put a new chain on them every day and kept the chains tight and the bars oiled. They were freaking awesome. My father in law was so impressed he immediately went and bought a 18V Ryobi chainsaw too…

Last edited:
Back