Cordless Chainsaw

If you're already invested in a certain line of powertools just get one from the brand you own. If you're not already invested in a certain line I've been very impressed with all of my Kobalt cordless tools. I have the XTR impact driver/drill/circular saw and the regular Kobalt blower, shop vac, pole saw, hedge trimmers, and orbital sander.

Just make sure the wife knows how to use a chainsaw. Wife and I gave an electric saw to her mother. I’m not sure she made it 5 minutes before the trip to the ER.

I agree, I’d go with whatever battery brand you already have.

To be a bit different, do you have a neighbor with a saw? Even if you can’t borrow their tools, maybe you can trade beer for jobs? I’m not sure how often you need a saw, so, is it worth the cost?

Yup, Ive used the 36V Makita and the 50 volt e-go.I was helping guy do some trail maintenance

Both are badaXX lil machines.

If you re doing the kind of work where you are constantly setting it down and picking it up the electric becomes the superior tool.

I have a Stihl myself, but if I had to buy from scratch for light farm work Id have no problem going electric.

Make sure you buy appropriate protection and watch some videos about kickback, use common sense and you should be good.

essential craftsman has some good tutorials to watch as a couple. This guy is like everyones favorite grandpa....

I would love one too, but most tree work is "gotta finish once you start" work - gravity and such.
I would (have) invest(ed) in cords and invertors to make my corded chainsaw remotely portable.

We purchased a Ryobi cordless pole saw (40V battery). It interchanges with other Ryobi tools. So far, all the cutting we have done has gone very well. Plenty of longevity on the battery.

Chainsaws are very useful, but can be very injurious to those unfamiliar.

Far better than a chainsaw for your use (branches up to 6”) would be a cordless reciprocating saw with a pruning blade.

Light. Cordless. Powerful.

And far safer in use

I would love one too, but most tree work is "gotta finish once you start" work - gravity and such.
I would (have) invest(ed) in cords and invertors to make my corded chainsaw remotely portable.

Corded chainsaws aren't an answer that works for me, up on a ladder dealing with cord is nowhere....especially f you already have another safety line to manage. Just nope.

I'm already invested in the makita battery system and my truck has an inverter that can run a charger or a honda 2K can run several.

I wonder what the weight is like. I have a corded electric chainsaw, 2300 watts IIRC. plenty of power but not very light. A 2-stroke is much lighter. But for use in the back yard, corded makes sense

I bought a Ryobi 40V brushless at Christmas. The battery was defective that came with it. It would only run about 5 minutes and shut off. Worked good on my batteries. I took it back to Home Depot and got my money back because they didn't have another one.. It ran great on my other batteries. They gave me a number to call to get the battery replaced. All I got was a Covid message. Never an answer. Took it all back for a refund. Finally bought a Black and Decker 20 V since I have those tools too. It is ok for small stuff like you are talking about. My son saw my brushless 40V Ryobi and ordered just the saw. It cuts like a gas saw and adjusts the speed of the chain for the load.

Last fall, my local WM clearanced their house brand cordless chainsaws at 50%. I grabbed one to try it out (saved the receipt, in case I didn't like it). It has become one of my favorite tools in the shed. So much more convenient than trying to start a balky saw that I haven't used in months. Just grab and go. (It does use bar/chain oil) Although the 20 volt battery lasts a while, I picked up 2 more batteries to have on hand. Of course, it's too small to cut down trees, but for small branches, it's great. As others have said, be careful out there!

Branches or something not rigid are better with loppers to those not used to saws IMO. I think you’re not getting the same chain speed with an electric saw as you are a gasser and it’ll kick/ flop back whatever you’re cutting. Not really dangerous, just annoying and startling to those not expecting it.

Use it and treat it like a small gas saw and you won’t be disappointed. Nothing to start when you just want to make 1 or 2 small cuts. No hearing protection needed either.

I just purchased this on Friday actually. I cut down a medium sized tree with it and the battery died in the last cut believe it or not. It’s a good residential use saw. I recommend getting a second battery if needing to use it for extended use.

If you plan on doing more heavy cutting, step up the to 40V chain saw. Initially I wanted to purchase the 40V saw but they were sold out of them.

Picture is what I purchased.

Attachments

• 983189EE-BD10-45BC-9EBD-5397FAA3E3CD.jpg
    983189EE-BD10-45BC-9EBD-5397FAA3E3CD.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for tips. I might try a recip saw cordless for my wife as far safer and seems lighter. This side project was my wife buying a neighbors old 12" quality gasser saw and all the protective stuff.

Back