Copper in Porsche 2010 GT3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a recent post on copper in oil and I had an unusual test result. At 13000 mi. and 5 oil changes with Mobil 1 0W40 copper came back at 49 ppm. I do not have the previous history on this car, purchased with 9400 mi. At 14200 I pulled a sample and sent it to Blackstone for a followup. The copper came back at 37. The other wear metals were fine.

So with a fresh oil change in which I added 9.5 quarts to what ever residual oil might have been left with 49 ppm copper I get 37 ppm copper 1200 mi later. I've owned a number of Porsches in the past and the only time I have seen high copper it was 29 ppm on a 93 RSA and needed a rebuild.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I assume Porsche put a really nice oil cooler on this engine. The really nice ones are typically made of all copper. With no other UOA results out of line,I wouldn't rule out the oil cooler as the source of this unusual copper.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
I assume Porsche put a really nice oil cooler on this engine. The really nice ones are typically made of all copper. With no other UOA results out of line,I wouldn't rule out the oil cooler as the source of this unusual copper.

And that oil cooler is probably quite large, too.

It is not the oil cooler itself with copper..unless things have changed the two very long hard oil lines front to rear from the engine to the cooler, routed along the chassis are copper.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Previous owner's track car??

purchased with 9400 mi.

Hey I am going to buy a new Porsche after getting a good paying job after graduation or what ever. Look at me Look at me. Hey grams wanna race in your Oldsmobile once the light turns green.

Man this Porsche is not as fun because of the payments I have to make on it. I'm selling it at 9800.

Keep doing what you're doing and the copper will continue to drop.

well I have to chime in on my opinion on this. First off the Porsche GT3 can take some abuse. Even if the previous owner tracked it everyday I seriously doubt the person "damaged" anything. People that buy these kind of cars take care of them, not "trash" them.

My humble opinion is this car is still breaking in. I would just drive it like you normally do and follow the recommended OCI's. If the levels do not drop then be concerned. I feel though, They will drop.

Jeff

Last edited:
Is there any lead present? IMO, the copper without any Pb would not indicate any bearing damage. If Pb is not elevated, no harm, no foul. FWIW

Oldtommy

Porsche mechanics recommend Motul V 5W40 and Redline 5W40 not Mobil 1 0W40 for 996, 997, etc. especially the turbos You may want to give it a try and sample after the second oil change.

It ran great in my modified 2006 996TT S before I sold it.....too fast for me.

LOL, thinking of the first oil change in our pedestrian Honda Accord V6 that had 256 ppm CU.

I think your Porsche is going to be OK.

Last edited:
49 PPM ? seriously? You realize that is parts per million....Run a few more oil intervals out to 6-7000 miles then re-sample...My bet is it isn't even broken in...Those engines can take a beating and ask for even more. I would not lose a minute of sleep over it. I race a 964 cup and a 996 cup and do UOA's quite often on these two engines. Copper levels will decrease with time. Raise an eyebrow when you start seeing over 200 PPM on the Al, Cu, Pb, and other wear metals...worry when they consistently climb.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Is there any lead present? IMO, the copper without any Pb would not indicate any bearing damage. If Pb is not elevated, no harm, no foul. FWIW

Oldtommy

+1 to this, no lead, no worries!

It could be how the engines wear or oil cooler. If iron/aluminum/lead are normal it's no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back