Cooling your engine after driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pop up my hood after a run too. But it's not as much as to cool the engine and battery quicker as to get a good engine inspection with a strong flashlight. This practice over the years on all my cars has allowed me early detection of failing belts, coolant leaks on hoses, split radiator cap rubber gasket, cracked radiator, leaking transmission shifter rod O-ring, bad motor mount, and leaking cylinder head gasket.

Why bother with propping the hood open, just remove the hood and it will cool faster at home or in traffic, also saves wear on the latch and hinges. Keeps the hood looking like new when you go to sell it. Probably more advantages I havent thought of, may do mine tomorrow.

When I go out of the house without telling my wife and wants the engine to cool down before she comes home and find out, yes I do that all the time.

Oh, I mean when I go out and come back with the house AC on already and don't want to heat up the house with engine heat, I'll pop the hood and turn on a fan to cool it down faster.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
When I go out of the house without telling my wife and wants the engine to cool down before she comes home and find out, yes I do that all the time.

Lmao, where are you going on these sorties?

Yeah, I do this, then I draw the shades, hide the ski mask, and start counting.

Seriously? Traffic is going to fry your engine bay like an egg compared to after-shutdown.

I'm going well over 100k miles in FL, without a single solitary cooldown with the hood open with all original components under the hood. Nothing cracked, dried, frayed, nothing.

This is not NASCAR. You don't need to hookup a garden hose to the cooldown fitting.

Coolant flow after engine shutdown depends on whether the OEM thought it was important. Volkswagen has had electric secondary water pumps on their vehicles for quite some time. Decades, in fact...

I owned an '86 Volvo 740 Turbo from new to 18 1/2 years. This was the ultimate turbo disaster waiting to happen - it ran red hot on the highway, it was only oil cooled, and we all know (or suspect) the cost of Volvo repairs.

Long story short - nothing happened. The turbo was as happy when I sold it to friends as when I bought it. They drove it for 5 more years. I never had to change the wiring harness or any of the hoses. They were all fine too.

What I did do was let it cool down after a hard run by driving it slowly into my neighbourhood. If I pulled off the highway to fuel up, I let it idle for a minute or two before shutting it down. And I changed the conventional motor oil every 3 months (on average every 3850 Km or 2400 miles) - didn't know about using synthetic oil for engines with turbos at that time.

So, no I don't think you need to open your hood to let the engine cool down.

I think as long as you're not racing then you don't need the cooldown.

Agree with others to just drive like a grandma the last couple minutes of your drive, easy throttle, gentle coasting; and that's good enough cooldown.

Triple digit heat here in the valley, I pop the hood on my car when I get home, it's my car so i'll do as I please
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back