Cooling System Seal Tabs May void engine warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we use cooling system seal tabs in all anti freeze types i was listening to a service manager while picking up parts at Hyundai that said to a customer that adding seal tabs will void their 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and destroy the cooling system. Im pretty sure that Hyundai has pretty much one anti freeze unlike say Mazda that has a few of them and seal tabs won't hurt a thing. we use the seal tabs in some engines we rebuild just to be on the safe side. And there are many engines that come from the factory that way. I think some of these guys talk just to hear themselves..

If you have a leak and are still under warranty then why aren't you having the warranty cover the fix for the leak?

As for tabs I have myself experienced good results from using them. I had a small leak on my truck and it took care of it at the first application and has held well for a long time now.

A GM Engineer who used to post on this site and is extremely knowledgeable posted this a while back: (The initial conversation was about DexCool, but he went on to talk about sealants)

"I personally always recommend the use of the GM coolant supplement pellets ( or the equivalent BarsLeaks products HDC ) to ensure against any internal coolant leaks into the oil. An engine like the 4.3 can leak coolant internally if a gasket starts to fail or something so the coolant supplement/sealer is good insurance against this. It is/was factory installed in that system and needs to be replenished over time and/or as the cooling system is refreshed. I would add 6 of the coolant supplement pellets to ensure a positive seal of the system. It causes no harm and will be perfectly benign unless there is a leak somewhere.

in Cadillac forum:

The GM coolant supplement pellets and the BarsLeaks "golden seal" are the same material. The company that manufactures the cooling system sealer supplies GM with the material in pellet form and also sells under the BarsLeaks brand name.

You can usually find the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder in the clear tubes at WalMart or ACO stores or most any decent hardware store. The BarsLeaks product that is in the various jars and bottles with brown liquid is acually the same sealant material it's in a kind of "rabbit food" sized pellet that is in the bottom of the jar. It is the same stuff - just soaked in the brown soluable oil material that is obstensably used to "lubricate the water pump". Sounds good. Totally unnecessary. As a last resort the stuff in the brown liquid will work, the pellets or powder without the oil is better.

Under no circumstances should you use the stuff that looks like aluminum or metal shavings. Nasty stuff that will plug heater cores and most anything. Check the BarsLeaks website for more information.

The material is just a sealer to guard against nuisance leaks in the cooling sytem. With aluminum engines it is not too uncommon to get some seepage due to porosity in castings and such and the sealer guards against such leaks that might occur over time as porosity and coldshuts in the castings open up with the thermal cycling of the engine. The supplement/sealer does nothing but seal leaks. It does not protect the engine in any way other than against leaks. The sealant works with both DexCool and conventional green coolant.

You might check the post in the "general Cadillac - non-model specific discussion" category above regarding the coolant supplement. Crushing the pellets is completely unnecessary. That instruction is a carry over from the 4.9 engine where the supplement was introduced into the radiator itself and there was not room in the end tank (due to the oil cooler inside the tank) to get a full sized pellet in. Just pop the pellets into the radiator hose whole and reconnect the hose. They will have turned to mush in the coolant before you have the clamp tightened.

With the Northstar the supplement (pellets/powder) must be installed in the radiator hoses to introduce the material into the bulk flow of the coolant to ensure it is distributed through the sytem. More confusion occurs because people put it into the pressurized surge tank and then run into problems with it plugging the hose from the surge tank to the water pump. This makes them think that they need to crush the pellets. There is little or no flow through the surge tank so putting the material in there will not distribute it through the sytem (so it will not work and they think it is ineffective) and/or it can clog the hose to the water pump because the material just lies there in a lump and does not disperse. The material does not "dissolve" in a classic sense - it stays whole and in suspension in the coolant and is just dispersed as minute particulates through the sytem. So, if there is insufficient flow to get it dispersed it can cause local problems if it is not installed in the radiator hose correctly.

I recommend that you put 6 of the large GM supplement pellets into a 4.9 engine or a Northstar engine. The service manual calls for 3 of the large pellets for the Northstar since less leak protection is needed with the Northstar since it cannot leak coolant into the oil. 6 will provide extra protection from seepages long term and 6 is the recommended dose for the 4.9 engine as the 4.9 CAN leak coolant into the oil so the extra dosage is required to maintain the adequate leak protection.

If you use the BarsLeaks golden seal powder - two tubes in a Northstar. The BarsLeaks pellets that I have seen are about half the size of the GM pellets so I would recommend 10-12 of them.

The stuff is just an organic material. Ground up ginger root. It works because it shrinks when wet and expands when dry. It will "clot" in a leak area and then expand on the "dry" side to seal the leak. That is why it wont clog heater cores. There is no air on the backside of the orifice for the material to expand.

Pellets, powder, crushed, not crushed, top radiator hose, bottom radiator hose. All Okay. Either radiator hose (whichever is easiest to get to) will work the same as the bulk flow of the coolant goes through both to disperse the material through the system. Put it into the radiator directly of the 4.9 so you don't have to disconnect a hose.

The factory puts the sealer/supplement pellets into each new cooling sytem for the Northstar and they don't take the time to crush each of them up! The factory install was discontinued for a few years but is being reinstated due to the low but persisent cases of nuisance seepages and leaks."

Hyundai service writers are the pits and will look for any excuse to throw your warranty to the curb.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Hyundai service writers are the pits and will look for any excuse to throw your warranty to the curb.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about how
Hyundai and Kia will do anything to not
honor your warranty. If you own one of these
brands make sure to follow the car manufacturers service instructions to the letter if you want coverage. That includes things like only using genuine Kia/Hyundai oil filters!

i dont see that Hyundai is so bad i own an engine shop and talk to all the service guys and i also own two of their vehicles and i see them very good. i have seen them fix things on customers cars that were very questionable a few times over the years. I know one thing i always hear is that if your warranty is up they won't do anything but which car company or any company for that matter will and why should they.
I disagree from professional experience i see Hyundai/Kia doing the right thing. I think possibly in the beginning before the internet and all the new consumer laws it may have been different. The dealer you deal with is very important some of them are good some not so good as with anything but in any case Hyundai corporate has the final say. If you follow their maintenance guidelines they have to do what is right because it can get them jammed up in lawsuits that will cost them thousands.The consumer laws here in the U.S. are very powerful and seem to lean toward the consumer in many cases.

I was rather impressed how quickly the bars tabs worked to stop my radiator leak.
Just one tab stopped it overnight.

I recently, on a longer road trip, noticed higher temp gauge readings, and discovered I was a little low on coolant.

I ground up two more tabs, topped up radiator with 50/50.

Marked the overflow tank cold, and 2000 miles later this level has not budged.

Like Caig DeoXit electrical contact cleaner, I think it is a wonderful product

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Coolant tabs have been used on assembly lines at times when an engine is showing a bit of seepage.

I worked at Chrysler Corp Canada in the 1960's and every vehicle got coolant tabs in the radiator.
Not sure about today at Windsor Assy. for the MiniVans .. I’ll try to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back