Coolant temp on hybrid

Hi all.

I recently bought a Corolla Cross hybrid. My first hybrid.

I have noticed that when the car is driving slow and in city trafic where it mostly runs on electricity. The coolant temp will drop, or fluctuate a bit. When the engine starts it will come back up to normal temp pretty fast.

Anyone knows if that is normal?

Have a nice weekend 😊

Do you have a coolant temp gauge or are you watching a data stream? I have never been so lucky to have a gauge on any of my prius models.

Had Kia Optima and VW Jetta hybrids do the same thing. There is a reason they had heated seats. And temperature gauges.

097.jpg

093.jpg

The only way to prevent this would be to use battery energy to warm the coolant which leads to the question…why would that be beneficial?

Do you have a coolant temp gauge or are you watching a data stream? I have never been so lucky to have a gauge on any of my prius models.
ScanGauge set to show coolant temperature in my Prius. It drops fast on long downhills in cold weather.

The thing with coolant temp gauges on anything now is they are not mechanical. They are completely electronic and could be truthful as in 150F is 150F or and this would go exceptionally for hybrids, fib and tell you it's 190F when it's really 150F because you'll feel warm even if it's not actually 190F. The only thing truthful would be if it's actually overheating.

As long as the temp doesn’t go into the red and flash lights at you, you’re fine. Many Toyota hybrids have either a coolant heat storage system(gen 2 Prius for the US/Canada), or an exhaust heat recovery system.

Hi all.

I recently bought a Corolla Cross hybrid. My first hybrid.

I have noticed that when the car is driving slow and in city trafic where it mostly runs on electricity. The coolant temp will drop, or fluctuate a bit. When the engine starts it will come back up to normal temp pretty fast.

Anyone knows if that is normal?

Have a nice weekend 😊
I have one as well. I drive about 12 minutes to work. The gas engine probably runs for 6-7 of those minutes.
I just did my first oil change at 1k myself. I noticed a mayonnaise-like substance under the oil cap. Im assuming and hoping its from short rides and not getting to full operating temps long enough, coupled with winter temps.
Have you checked under your cap?

Back