Coolant Temp Focus 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
any one have any idea what the full operating temp is for a Duratec 2.0 with the MTX-75 manual trans? I still have heat, but with my scangauge I can watch the coolant temp go from 155-170 and back to the 155-165 range. This is also with the defroster on because of the recent rain/moisture around. Curious if its possible that my thermostat may need to be replaced for being stuck open.

Last edited:
Since you have a scangauge clear the I/M monitors. If it takes forever for them to pop back in you do have a cold t-stat.

Pardon my question, but what is the I/M Monitors on the SG?

Also, my SG will never hit 180F. and I just noticed this recently... within the last week.

Inspection readiness monitors... for emissions. When reset a healthy car runs all its smog checks in a couple drive cycles.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Thermostat Opening Temperatures
Thermostat starts to open 82°C (180°F)
Thermostat fully open 97°C (207°F)

From the FSM

It sounds like my 1996 2.0L Zetec has the same range thermostat. In the non winter temps it runs 210 to 212 degrees according to my Torque Pro app on my smart phone. I always was concerned when the temp gauge rose up to near the red line but always never crossed it. After 20 years the thermostat is still working properly. It's a hot running engine compared to my 4.6 F-150 during the same temps.

Whimsey

I think I agree.. its kinda a pain to get at on the Focus. Yesterday the max I saw on the SG was 173F, then it went down to 155-160 range. Guess I'll order one from Rockauto along with some parts for my newly acquired Saturn SC2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
I think I agree.. its kinda a pain to get at on the Focus. Yesterday the max I saw on the SG was 173F, then it went down to 155-160 range. Guess I'll order one from Rockauto along with some parts for my newly acquired Saturn SC2.

That's what mine was doing the last few years. Of course, the dealership to which I brought it (not the one where I bought the car) said it was "fine".

It's a PITA. I hate to say it, but I actually paid a mechanic - friend of mine - to change a thermostat. Only took him 3 hours to drain coolant, remove PS Pump, replace thermostat and refill/burp.

I just had my thermostat replaced in my 07 Focus. I was getting the 0128 code, and also noticed my heater wasn't responding as it should. That thermo is hard to replace, so I had mine done. Heater is now back to normal.

tig1,

what are your operating temps now that you had it replaced?
There is no temperature difference between Manual/Automatic, right? They should all run at the same temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back