Coolant service strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the coolant service is coming up on the 2012 F 150. I like the Ford Quicklane service so I will be using them. My questions:

1. Drain or flush?

2. Replace hoses? I'm inclined to say yes, because the day they spring a leak I would unnecessarily replace the coolant anyway. What do you guys think? If the answer is yes, what kind of additional labor charge is reasonable?

3. Replace thermostat? I'm inclined to say no, because my chances of getting a Chinese counterfeit and my chances of heading off trouble are about even. What do you think?

4. Any percentage in replacing radiator cap or heater hose?

I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve on this stuff, but not go crazy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Flushing would be pointless on a newer truck such as yours. There's no reason to replace parts on it. Even your thermostat will probably last another 10 years - that's why you bought a Ford. Since you live in NM and the truck is going to last a looooooong time, it MIGHT need hoses about 20 years from now (modern rubber is a lot better than what we used to have).

The only question is: why pay someone else to turn one screw and put a bucket under your radiator?

Last edited:
Always flush. And when you flush you need to remove t-stat anyway so put an oem one in. If hoses look bad or are soft replace them. And dont forget to flush heater core.

Well there you have it, folks: the closest thing to a consensus which has ever been achieved online
crackmeup2.gif

There could be casting sand in the block and a flush is the only way to get it out. The waterpump will not last long if there is sand in the engine. my series of Ford engines have lots of sand in them. technically was the cause of a class action lawsuit.

5 year old truck, it is more than reasonable to have the coolant replaced. I wouldn't worry about the other parts unless needed. I stick to the 5 year plan on coolant but I have a GM with acid in the radiator.

1: Drain unless there is problem. Then Reverse flush with a tee and a hose.
2:Unless they look bad, save your money.
3. No
4:Not especially,if they feel and look OK
All that stuff should last until 150K/ 10 yrs

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
So the coolant service is coming up on the 2012 F 150. I like the Ford Quicklane service so I will be using them. My questions:

1. Drain or flush?

2. Replace hoses? I'm inclined to say yes, because the day they spring a leak I would unnecessarily replace the coolant anyway. What do you guys think? If the answer is yes, what kind of additional labor charge is reasonable?

3. Replace thermostat? I'm inclined to say no, because my chances of getting a Chinese counterfeit and my chances of heading off trouble are about even. What do you think?

I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve on this stuff, but not go crazy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1. Drain

2. Unless there is an actual problem, no.

3. No. I'm going 10 years on my factory T-Stat.

4. I always toss the cap for a new Motorcraft when doing complete cooling system service. Not a common problem at all, but I've seen a few too many cases of these holding too much pressure as they get older, resulting in seal failure. Probably not even necessary, but more like cheap insurance. Heater hose? No.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
My questions:

1. Drain or flush?

1. Always flush. I let the coolant in my 2010 FX4 go to 150K and there were floaties in it. If you are near 100K flush and change it.
2. I did not change my hoses at 150K but they appeared to be in great shape. I did change the serpentine belt though.
3. No need if it is functioning correctly.
4. No need if they are functioning correctly.

Drain,fill , replace nothing. The hoses will outlive all of the cooling system short of the waterjacket.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Always flush. And when you flush you need to remove t-stat anyway so put an oem one in. If hoses look bad or are soft replace them. And dont forget to flush heater core.

False. A few OEM's don't recommend flushing. Don't know about Ford. Do what your manual says. Most coolant in cars is 10 year, 100K+ miles. Does your F-150 need it? Check your manual. It's typically a REALLY easy thing to do, especially just draining and refilling.

Also, replacing hoses on a 4-year old car is ridiculous. MAYBE 10 years old. I'm more of a 15 year-20 year old and replace. Hoses and belts go way longer than even the 90's now.

Drain and fill.
Inspect the hoses and replace if needed.
Nothing wrong with replacing the thermostat if it makes you feel better. If you do get a factory replacement.

The Wifes Hyundai states a coolant change at 60k, I plan on doing a drain and fill then. Mine on the other hand states 150k, but it will get done before 100k.

Originally Posted By: abycat
There could be casting sand in the block and a flush is the only way to get it out. The waterpump will not last long if there is sand in the engine. my series of Ford engines have lots of sand in them. technically was the cause of a class action lawsuit.

How did it make it this long if it were full of sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back