Coolant recomendation for older Nissan, Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 3 cars I need to change the coolant on, and they are: 1993 Nissan quest with aluminum new radiator but brass heater core, 1988 toyota corolla, and pickup with brass radiator and heater core. Im looking at regular Prestone and maybe Peak Global Lifetime. I am mostly worried about brass and lead solder protection. Thanks.

I am spoiled by reading the test results about "coupon erosion" published for the BASF/Glysantin. All I could get out of Prestone was that it "passes the test," of course the test has erosion limits, but it would be nice to know what they are.

I think it would be pretty wacky to run a German coolant in this kind of car though. I know that G48 is easier on solder than some of the others, but I think is a bit harsh on brass. G05 is slightly less nice to solder but does not attack brass.

I filled a G48-spec German car with Dex during an emergency (2001 or so), and left it in there for many years, no adverse effects noted even at the present time.

I think the Prestone will be fine though. Oops. Someone above seems to know better than me. Maybe that's why they wouldn't tell me.

Last edited:
Regular green or the generic long life coolant will be just fine. The red Toyota coolant isn't any better, just more expensive. Plus I don't like my coolant tobe the same color as my brake fluid and transmission fluid.

Ok thanks for the replies. I am now wondering which coolant offers the best protection for lead and brass?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Regular green or the generic long life coolant will be just fine. The red Toyota coolant isn't any better, just more expensive. Plus I don't like my coolant tobe the same color as my brake fluid and transmission fluid.

Your brake fluid is red?

Always use Toyota Long Life Red (not pink) in older Toyotas. It's silicate free and wont eat solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back