Coolant Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Night, or good day :p
What is the recommended coolant for nissan vehicles (N16) (ASIAN vehicles)
Meaning what specs should be satisfied for a nissan vehicle. (e.g silicate free........)
The reason i ask this because the house brand looks good.

I'll preface this by saying while I'm familiar with current Nissan AF specs here, not positive about the N16. I'd imagine they are the same though. In that case the spec AF is an Asian PHOAT AF, aka, Phosphated OAT AF. There are no silicates, amines, borates, nitrites. Also there's no 2eha found in DexCool and the Dexclone universal OAT AFs.

The current spec Nissan OEM Long service interval AF comes only as a premix, and is blue tinted, not that the tint matters. Here there are now many aftermarket options for Nissan AF. Zerex Asian Formula blue, Valvoline Asian Vehicle found at WM, and Pentosin A3 Blue can all be found here for less than Nissan OEM AF.

As for the "house brand", would need more detail. If like here, the most common parts store house brands are Dexclone universals and contain 2eha. They would not be my first choice.

Prestone cor-guard is silicate free as well. It says on the box it is safe for any car, all makes & models, any color antifreeze, etc. I bought 2 packs of 2 at Costco couple years ago and been using it in Toyota and Hyundai.

Most of the aftermarket coolants have some type of "Asian" formula. I'd say the bottles normally list the brands and TEND to be correct. Like they'll say, "Meant for Toyota with red coolant." Or "Meant for Subaru with green coolant." Or something along those lines.

I always like to go with the OEM fluids, personally (aside from oil). Many times they're the same price or cheaper than an auto parts store and you're GUARANTEED it's the right mix.

Does it have OEM coolant in it currently? It gets goofy if you don't flush the system and you had some other brand in before. Or can, supposedly, get goofy. Most recommend flushing it if you're going to go from OEM to aftermarket, or vice versa, so you don't mix too much of all the proprietary long life chemicals that each brand uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back