Coolant loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't talking a whole lot of fluid here. It may just be that the system has purged some air that was left after you changed the coolant and is using a little from the tank now. You could just top it off if you like and watch it to see if the level changes again.

My car drops 1/4 inch or more if the prevailing overnight temps drop from the usual 20 degrees down to 0. It comes right back up when the temps warm back up.

cool.gif
That doesn't sound like much, it could have just evaporated. I wouldn't worry about it for now. A very, very small leak someplace can cause coolant loss w/o seeing a drip because since it's hot it can evaporate quickly.

Is this by chance the closed cooling system used on 87-90 4.0s? If it is it's probably just an air pocket that finally found it's way out of the system.

I've noticed over the past 3 months that the coolant level in the overflow bottle on my Jeep 4.0 has dropped about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
Never noticed this before or any other fluid loss.
The engine compartment is clean as a whistle, no trace of any pinholes in the hoses, no fluid on the floor under the heater, and no sign of anything on the ground. The weep hole on the water pump looks okay, and no sign of anything weird in the oil.
Is it normal for this type of loss to occur?
The engine has 91k on it, I flushed and filled the system during the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back