Coolant leak - What would U do?

IMG_E0183[1].JPG

My 1.0 liter ecoboost Fiesta has slight coolant leak in the middle connection to the reservoir in the photo. It's pretty clear that it's caused by the engine shaking and working some play into the clip/connector. I believe this small hose feeds the turbocharger, but it could be a return line. So it's pretty important.

Unless I'm mistaken, I have to buy the hose to get a new clip/connector for about $35. Would you just replace the hose and clip or would you buy a new reservoir too? Or maybe there's a way to seal it? (I realize that I will get answers of yes, no and everything in between. Just thought there may be similar experience out there.) I don't look forward to replacing this every 40,000 miles.

If the tabs that hold the hose clips on the reservoir are not damaged you don't need a new one, the hose itself should be okay unless it is oil soaked or damaged in some way. I would say put a new clip on it.
With the new clip I would wrap some rubber tape around the clip ears to prevent them spreading again. This is the tape, you need to stretch it as you wrap or it will not stick. Once it has "cured" it will hold up to almost anything.

Last edited:
You need to drain the overfill tank and take it out to see the root cause of the leak. It's most likely the connector clip has become unseated and developed a small leak or the tank has a small crack where that leaking hose is connected at.

He says he has to buy the hose to get the clamp (from Ford?). Can you buy that style of spring clamp X1 from a parts store?

I think so unless this is for something else. He should PM bdcardinal the Ford parts guy. Usually when the hose has a clamp the fitting is available either OE or aftermarket when they are shrank plastic tube like the other one usually not.

ford.png

I would pressurize the tank with a radiator leak tester and see where the leak is coming from before replacing anything. Could be the tank or the hose. Should be pretty obvious at 15 psi.

Thanks all. I'll PM bcardinal to save trip to the ford dealer. Autozone didn't have it. Even if I pressurize it, all I will find is where the leak is, which I know, but not which part or both.

If I can get a new clip without the hose, maybe I'll do that. before messing too much with the tank.

Those smaller sized spring type hose clamps are available at some hardware stores and auto parts stores. I think I have seen them at Lowe's, but an Ace that is well stocked sometimes has them.

But pressurize the system to find the exact cause of the leak first. A cracked plastic overflow tank is more likely to be the problem than that clamp.

Burt have you checked on any Fiesta boards to see if this is a known problem? If it's a design or material flaw there should be other examples out there. Hard to imagine a spring clip going weak in 5 years unless it's a bad part.

The connector to the tank is plastic and the ears tend to spread, I have seen these used these on secondary air pumps on some cars.

Burt have you checked on any Fiesta boards to see if this is a known problem? If it's a design or material flaw there should be other examples out there. Hard to imagine a spring clip going weak in 5 years unless it's a bad part.

Yes I have posted this on Fiesta Faction, but they don't have a lot of traffic. Owners have coolant leak problems but I didn't find this specific location. Having said that, I have in the back of my mind that there were similar problems in the earlier European engines and I thought were fixed by 2015. This is basically the european fiesta engine imported from germany on a small scale to the US. In Europe they later added stop start and one cylinder shut off, believe it or not.

If you saw the engine shaking when it idles, you'd see the hose vibrating and putting stress cycles on this connection.

Last edited:
Bdcardinal said it was likely the hose w/clip that needs to be replaced. A Fiesta owner on the Fiesta forum had the same problem and concurred. So I'll order the hose with clip.

I used JB Weld 2 part plastic mending product on the leaking seam in the Frontier reservoir after cleaning it well. No leaks in 3 year.

Epilogue: When I pulled the clip off, part of the connection stayed in the reservoir port. Sure looks like it broke sometime ago and the clip was holding it in. Easy fix. Thanks all and Bdcardinal in particular!

IMG_0184[1].JPG

Back