Coolant Leak 5.7l Hemi

Hello, I have a '06 300C with the 5.7l Hemi. It has been a great vehicle but has one small issue. At approx. 175k the radiator started to leak so I replaced it with all new hoses as well. Ever since the upper hose at the thermostat housing wont seal. It leaves small drips that I cannot stop. I have replaced the upper hose, t/stat housing and upper hose clamps but still get some drips. My only other thing I have not done is put some RTV on the hose and housing, should I have? What else am I missing.. It went many years and miles but now no matter what I seem to do, it loves to weep from here?

Thanks.

Remove this clamp and replace with OE spring style clamp.

Either that or keep tightening the clamp that you have until the leak stops or to crack the radiator.

LOL! That is what I am afraid of, tightening so much it ends up misshaping the thermostat housing, it is only thin steel. I guess I will order an OE spring clamp... I did mark the nut on the current clamp to see if it was backing off, and it is not, so the next step is a different clamp...

Thanks.

LOL! That is what I am afraid of, tightening so much it ends up misshaping the thermostat housing, it is only thin steel. I guess I will order an OE spring clamp... I did mark the nut on the current clamp to see if it was backing off, and it is not, so the next step is a different clamp...

Thanks.
How tightly did the Gates hose fit?

Before you put spring clamps on you might want to try backing the clamp off and putting 4 or 5 wraps of electrical tape around the hose where the clamp goes and then reinstalling it. But not too tight as the clamp can actually pull the rubber hose and cause a wrinkle under the solid part.

Are you sure it is coming from the hose and not the housing? Those bolts holding the housing to the water pump have a very low torque spec, something like 14 ft/lbs. Overtorquing them will warp the housing and leave it susceptible to leaking.

Are you sure it is coming from the hose and not the housing? Those bolts holding the housing to the water pump have a very low torque spec, something like 14 ft/lbs. Overtorquing them will warp the housing and leave it susceptible to leaking.

I am 95% sure.. I can see it coming from under the hose and collecting on the housing lip. I thought at first it was just that, being overtightened, as it collected near a one of the two bolt heads. But I can see it coming from the hose.

Back