Coolant in Pennzoil Synthetic Oil.. Symptoms??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Coogles
Originally Posted By: Angelia
Well my husband went this morning and rec'd the same result. He was pretty mad afterwards. He took the oil cap off and showed the service manager what was on it. He said because the dye reacts to UV, you can notice it in the sun. When you look at the oil cap, he said you could see green speckles!

The dealer was trying to tell him it was condensation and that any coolant would immediately turn the oil to sludge. I guess they went backl and forth with no result.

So I don't know much about engines but if I saw green speckles in brown oil... wouldn't you be concerned!!

oooh I like the turkey baster idea but I feel like its already in there... how much more proof do you need.

Is the car under a full warranty? If so, for how long? If you're afraid the failure won't occur before the warranty expires, but will be stuck paying for it afterward, accelerate the process and dump a half quart of coolant/water mix into the oil. You'll spin bearing and the dealer will be forced to replace the whole engine instead of just doing the easier and less expensive gasket replacement.

As much as this really sounds lame ..I would consider it in light of the obvious "in denial" response you're getting from the dealer.

Angelia - May I ask which dealership you're taking it to? Welcome to the site by the way!
thumbsup2.gif

I was taking it to Laethem Pont. Gmc Buick in Richmond, MI

Never again will I go there or buy a car or recommend them!

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The Pontiac Aztek uses the GM 3.4L.

I believe it, like the 3.1L V6, is susceptible to the Dexcool coolant/intake manifold problem.

Correct.

The manifold gasket is likely beginning to leak coolant.

Right too. Except for her repairs. Time to look into, 1)getting the Felpro kit, and 2) NEVER darkening the door of a GM store again...
mad.gif

The dealership is playing dumb.

He has replaced many, many intake gaskets already on these engines.

Yes again. Another reason why, barring something truly miraculous, they won't see me again...

The repair on my 3.1L was about $400 at an independent garage.

The dealership will be double that amount.

Glad you caught it in time. And had it fixed the right way.

The class action lawsuit payouts are already over.

Rules vary by jurisdiction. Generally, if you had no fair opportunity to opt in/out of a class action, you're probably not barred from taking action on your own. Whether or not that's economically viable depends upon the facts (and the price of your lawyer...).

Best of luck with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back