Coolant For 1995 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L I6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to find out what type of coolant the above vehicle takes as well as your experiences of what you had good experience with in a Jeep ?

Hello, I respectfully suggest you look at your hoses.
Sis' 1999 XJ was doing just fine when, at 160K, I decided to refresh her coolant again.
I bought hoses. The old ones "looked OK" but didn't feel right.
After replacement, the new ones looked great and the old ones looked like crispy, old relics lying on the ground.
Glad I changed them. Kira

I would flush (with water) completely and go with Prestone G-05. Its easy to get, not expensive and just a better coolant than old green. I went to G-05 in a 94 Camry and 93 Suburban with no issues.

Last edited:
I don't know the metal content of the radiator or heater core ?
If staying with "Green" coolant - is Prestone acceptable ?

Replace the fan clutch NOW!

Judging by your other posts you want to keep this nice. 99.5% of overheating Cherokees are caused by a bad fan clutch. These don't go full bore when they wear out, they just stop working.

I'm a huge fan of supertech fluids where applicable. I'd head over to your local walmart and pick up:

- Walmart Supertech Coolant
- Fl1A ford filter
- PYB oil
- Dex III / Merc Supertech fluid

Thanks ! I'll keep an eye on the temp gauge ...What weight PYB you use in your '00 ?
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Judging by your other posts you want to keep this nice. 99.5% of overheating Cherokees are caused by a bad fan clutch. These don't go full bore when they wear out, they just stop working.

I'm a huge fan of supertech fluids where applicable. I'd head over to your local walmart and pick up:

- Fl1A ford filter
- PYB oil

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
....If staying with "Green" coolant - is Prestone acceptable ?...

Wouldn't be for me with this Jeep. Prestone AM/M is a unversal Dexclone OAT containing 2eha, I'd avoid it and similar. Wally Super Tech is similar.

Green being recommended here is IAT Conventional Original Green. Zerex makes a low silicate original green and Peak makes an original green as do some store brands labeled original/conventional green. They have a shorter maintenance interval (Zerex supposed to be longer) but many cooling systems gone a long way on it.

And, as it seems you may not have an owners manual, found an excellent resource for maintenance of your Jeep linked below. Select Jeep Cherokee from drop down menu, then go 1993 from drop down, and select category of interest. Very detailed.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/

Conventional Green if you can find it. No, prestone is not acceptable. While it claims to be a universal coolant, it is more or less Dex-cool.

I tried G-05 antifreeze in my 88 Cherokee, and ended up with a leaking radiator (copper / brass) and a leaking heater core. Was it the G-05? I'll never know, but don't think it was coincidence.

They came with regular green inorganic inhibitor coolant. You have to be careful these days, since that formula is actually getting hard to find. A lot of "house brand" coolants (Pep Boys, O'Reilly, etc.) are still IAT made by Old World Industries, which also makes Peak. BUT! Many are now "DexClone" allegedly universal formulas like Prestone "All Makes / All Models," which I certainly would not use because of the 2EHA content.

What I did with both my XJs was a thorough drain and flush, then converted to G-05 plus distilled water. I used Zerex G-05, but Mopar and Motorcraft Gold are the same thing. Zero problems in 4 years on the '99 which I did first. It had over 120,000 miles at the time I switched.

And don't use that break prone petcock to drain. Just pull the lower radiator hose. Ask me how I know
smile.gif

While you are working on the cooling system, pay close attention to the heater control valve located near the firewall. They get brittle and the nipples will crack and fall off just by the vibration of driving down the road. A picture of one would be FOUR SEASONS Part # 74777 on RockAuto.
Still one of the best traditional green coolants is Cool Gard sold by a John Deere dealer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great replies all !! Definately know what "Green" your referring to now !!

sayjac : Awesome 4X4 site link ...I could spend some money there for sure !!

Originally Posted By: GregGA
And don't use that break prone petcock to drain. Just pull the lower radiator hose. Ask me how I know
smile.gif

It you can even get to it you're doing better than I ever did.

A general comment: the whole cooling system on an XJ needs good care. IMO the radiator is on the small side for the 4.0 so it's gotta do its job as do both the engine-driven fan and the electric fan. Also beware Rockauto replacement radiators. Hecho en China. The one I got lasted two years and blew a tank off somewhat spectacularly. Spring for a name brand if you replace it. The NAPA I put on the 99 cost twice as much but has already lasted more than twice as long as the Rockauto I put on the 2000.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Thanks ! I'll keep an eye on the temp gauge ...What weight PYB you use in your '00 ?
Originally Posted By: Miller88

- Fl1A ford filter
- PYB oil

I use a mix of 5w-30, 10w-30.

10w-30 if you live in a warm climate works better. Otherwise it'll be 100% content on 5w-30.

Hello, Sis' 1999 Xj called for 5W-30.
I gave it jug-dino-on-sale 5W-30.
No problems-ran like a watch-clean top end when I did the VC gasket.
I do believe that engine can live well with several weights of oil depending on expected ambient temperature.
Check the owner's manual. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back