Coolant filter pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was in service for two years. The paper in the element was like mush. Two years is to long. I am going to keep the interval at once per year. There was rust like sand caught in the pleats.

Now, a question. This is the second one I have had to stab with a screwdriver to get off. This is not fun. There is not easy access to the filter, anyone know of a way or tool to get the filter off without having to stab them? Anyone know of a coolant filter with a nut on the bottom, like aircraft filters?

2cql17t.jpg

332o0nq.jpg

Given the multitude of cooling system evolutions and issues that tend to cause more problems than they solve, I don't see a coolant filter being a waste of time.

The basic cooling system/coolant was one wheel that they should never have improved upon. It proves, without a doubt, that there are absolutely no solutions. They're merely exchanges of problems. Alleged unfavorable problems for more favorable problems.

Sometimes they get it wrong.

Originally Posted By: CDX825
What model of filter was this?

This was a Napa Gold 4070 from fleetfilter. I have cut open the Baldwin version and the Baldwin is top notch. The AC Delco version I have cut open also and they are just a hair below the Baldwin. The Napa Gold has a thin can and the media doesn't seem as robust as the AC Delco and Baldwin.

I'm unsure if there are fluted filters available. I don't recall whether the Wix coolant filter had that feature.

..but I don't have too much of an issue with doing the stab and twist. Crude and draconian ..but effective.

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Why in the world do you need a coolant filter?

I don't remember posting anywhere that I needed a coolant filter.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
"Hm, buy an aircraft filter?"

Let me back up a few paces - I have a coolant filter base, which is 11/16 x 16 thread. So my question is more specifically does anybody no a part# for a filter with this thread that comes with a nut at the bottom?

I have a 4070 setup on my F250.

I used some grease on the gasket to try and prevent it from sticking. I'm only on my second filter but after a year I changed the filter and all though it was tough getting started it did come off.

Quote:
So my question is more specifically does anybody no a part# for a filter with this thread that comes with a nut at the bottom?

None that I'm aware of. All xref's from Donaldson to WIX to a couple of others show no nut or fluted can. Not all images are accurate depictions of the filter listed, but most usually note the distinctions between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back