Coolant drain valve location(s) for 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma?

I don't need to do any maintenance on my cooling system just yet, but I'm trying to do my research.

I'm trying to locate the block installed, coolant drain valve locations for the 3.5L, V-6 motor, but darned if I see where they're located! I think there are two (2) of them, or at least that's what I've read. There's supposed to be one (1) on the driver side of the block, and one (1) on the passenger side.

Does anyone have any accurate diagram(s) or photos of the locations of these drain valves?

:)

Ed

Save yourself the hassle, Toyota only recommends a simple radiator drain and fill when changing the coolant. Also on a third gen Tacoma (2016 and up) your first scheduled coolant change is years away.

Save yourself the hassle, Toyota only recommends a simple radiator drain and fill when changing the coolant. Also on a third gen Tacoma (2016 and up) your first scheduled coolant change is years away.

+1

On my '15 Tacoma, I drain/fill 1 gallon of the SLLC every 2 years. Takes about 30 minutes to do and the coolant is nice and clean and transparent after 6 years.

I routinely suck all the coolant out of my overflow tanks every few months and refill with 50/50 fresh recommended coolant and distilled water. This replaces about a pint of coolant solution. The coolant on both of my VWs is pink as it should be , crystal clear and no signs of residue in the overflow tank which is squeaky clean. Sure is better than the old green coolant or Dexcool, IMHO!

..."Toyota only recommends a simple radiator drain and fill when changing the coolant."...

How do you know this? Have you seen it in print?

Thank you,

Ed

If you can find the block drain plugs, it’s a sure way to do a complete drain and fill. A partial drain and fill seems a little odd to me if the plugs are easy to get to.

Not sure what is going on under your Toyota, but my truck is relatively easy minus removing the starter.

On my Sienna, the coolant drain cock plugs for the block are located on both sides of the block under the exhaust manifolds. You might not be able to see or manipulate them from the top of the engine. Toyota does recommend draining the block on coolant flushes. Hint: To drain the coolant from the overflow tank, hold your hand over the radiator cap opening while the radiator is draining.
Radiator_Drain.jpg

Last edited:
They're called freeze plugs because when you need to drain them, they're frozen to the engine and won't come off :D 🥶

You only need to drain from the radiator.

Back