Cool paperweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by Number_35
Originally Posted by Number_35
Are both photos taken from the back of the engine? Agreed it looks like a SOHC valve train, but wondered where the timing chain(s) were, and then realized that they must be on the far side.

The new 7.3 is a OHV/pushrod engine.
Agreed, but these photos are of the 6.2, aren't they?

You're right that is, I think. The 6.2 uses a dual plug configuration with one plug under the coil like on a 2V 4.6/5.4 with a wire going down to the second plug where it would be on a pushrod engine.
Regardless, OHV or OHC, there had to be timing chain somewhere (either a short one up to a cam-in-block camshaft, or a long one way up to the heads). It took me longer than it should have to realize the photos were of the back of the engine.
33.gif

I am a high school teacher and I have six pistons sitting on my desk as paper weights. I started the collection with a b18 Honda piston and over the years students have gifted pistons to me. Like a .30 over 350 chevy, 250cc Suzuki two stroke, a cr 125cc piston with carnage, a Stihl chainsaw piston with rod etc... They make great conversation pieces and really get some of the quietest kids to speak up, when they realize I'm a gearhead. still looking for something really exotic like a 14l diesel.

The new 7.3L showed up in the parts catalog and its basically a giant LS engine. Not complaining because the LS is awesome and pretty much the perfected, clean sheet design Small Block Ford.

No malice intended here or any fanboy BS either.....But why do people say this about the LSx as I've heard that several times?
The famous "Windsor/HO" firing order was used by GM on Cadillac 472/500 engines years before Ford.
472/500 engines also had symmetrical port heads & 4 head bolts per cylinder.

Yes, that is the 7.3L. The oil filter is in the back on the passenger side like an LS.

LSx filters are on the rear driver side "Usually", GTO & Trailblazer pans being notable exceptions.

Last edited:
Yep … for oil changes … I just use one ramp on the drivers side of my GM's
(not recommended on plastic ramps)

Originally Posted by clinebarger

The new 7.3L showed up in the parts catalog and its basically a giant LS engine. Not complaining because the LS is awesome and pretty much the perfected, clean sheet design Small Block Ford.

No malice intended here or any fanboy BS either.....But why do people say this about the LSx as I've heard that several times?
The famous "Windsor/HO" firing order was used by GM on Cadillac 472/500 engines years before Ford.

Yes, that is the 7.3L. The oil filter is in the back on the passenger side like an LS.

LSx filters are on the rear driver side "Usually", GTO & Trailblazer pans being notable exceptions.

D'oh youi're right. Its the same idea though, and not up on the driver's front at an angle like a Windsor, mod motor, or Coyote.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Beyond having the same cylinder firing order as the late 60's 351C and W, the heads almost bolt-on. I have a pic here somewhere of an LS1 head placed on 302 block
grin.gif
So the resemblance was somewhat uncanny. It was such a marked departure from the SBC and the apparent abandonment of many things the SBC guys would argue over a beer or timeslips that made the SBC "better" in their mind than the SBF, that were subsequently adopted on the LSx like the 4-bolt heads for example, symmetrical port heads...etc. It's often stated to just wind the Chevy guys up IMHO. I know i've used it in that manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back