Cool paperweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
I was at my brother's the other day getting a little welding done and we were sitting in his basement computer room.
On the desk was a beautiful piece of aluminum art (BITOG art - a V-8 piston) sitting on a stack of papers.
I asked him what that piston came from and he said it's one of the new Ford "Godzilla" pistons (can't tell you how he got it or I'd have to kill you)
56.gif

Suffice to say that it is one of the most exotic pieces of automotive hardware I've held in my hand.
They are assembling the Godzilla in Windsor.

Originally Posted by Cujet
ford_7x_p4_003-jpg.1502572

ford_7x_p4_012-jpg.1502576

Wow, spark plug cables. No COP ignition??? Seems like quite a throwback.

Originally Posted by pschnahc
"Godzilla". The stupidity never ends

Call me when Ford engineers their way out of a wet paper sack.........

Let's see, there were the "animal cars" like Sting Ray, Impala, Marlin.

With Godzilla engines there'll have to be Rodan, Mothra and the Giant Behemoth programs.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Originally Posted by pschnahc
"Godzilla". The stupidity never ends

Call me when Ford engineers their way out of a wet paper sack.........

I can't predict whether this engine will be well made and successful. However, it's about time an American manufacturer constructed a simple, large displacement gasoline engine, designed to work hard.

Everything from school buses and motor homes to U-Haul trucks will be needing an engine capable of carrying the load. The GM small block is barely up to the task, and falls short on torque and lifespan in some applications. The Ford V10 was inefficient, but very capable.

Are you sure that's the new 7.3L and not the 6.2L?
Does that not look like a SOHC head?
Also, if this were pix of a OHV, there would be a cam in the block above the crank. There looks to be no room in those photos for a cam above the crank.
Are my eyes deceiving me?

Here are other public photos of the new 7.3l
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/ho...w-7-3l-v8-make-over-506-lb-ft-of-torque/
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/trucks/a27310861/ford-73-liter-gas-v8-engine/
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...-old-school-and-new-school-ar184542.html
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/inside-look-fords-new-7-3l-pushrod-v8/
This last one clearly shows the valves all in-line; not splayed like the photos you posted. (also, the 6.2L has shaft mounted rockers. The new 7.3l are pedestal mounted).

Yeah - those pix you posted are of a SOHC; most likely the 6.2L.

Oh - and the dead giveaway? There's a "6.2" in the second photo just to the left of the block, shadowed in blue ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
Let's see, there were the "animal cars" like Sting Ray, Impala, Marlin.

With Godzilla engines there'll have to be Rodan, Mothra and the Giant Behemoth programs.

Maybe even a King Ghidorah crate engine for our custom builders?

Originally Posted by tcp71

The new 7.3L showed up in the parts catalog and its basically a giant LS engine. Not complaining because the LS is awesome and pretty much the perfected, clean sheet design Small Block Ford.

My paperweights at work are a completely destroyed 7.3L glow plug relay and a valve out of Bob Tasca's T/F Funny Car that also doubles as my Mazda crush washer holder.

IMG_3027.jpg

Are both photos taken from the back of the engine? Agreed it looks like a SOHC valve train, but wondered where the timing chain(s) were, and then realized that they must be on the far side.

Originally Posted by Number_35
Are both photos taken from the back of the engine? Agreed it looks like a SOHC valve train, but wondered where the timing chain(s) were, and then realized that they must be on the far side.

The new 7.3 is a OHV/pushrod engine.

Originally Posted by tcp71

Keeps the coils away from the exhaust heat. Seems smart to me.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Agreed, but these photos are of the 6.2, aren't they?

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Agreed, but these photos are of the 6.2, aren't they?

You're right that is, I think. The 6.2 uses a dual plug configuration with one plug under the coil like on a 2V 4.6/5.4 with a wire going down to the second plug where it would be on a pushrod engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back