cooking oil in the crankcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in my engine. Canola and most other vegetable oils are unsaturated. They have a natural tendency to polymerize. I am familiar with them because of the years I spent in the paint industry. There we called them drying oils, because exposed to air, they oxidized to a solid film. I think that link was posted here before. Yes there are additives which will inhibit the polymerization, but I would feel better about starting with a more stable base stock. Castor oil is a saturated oil, but has hydroxyl functionality. It is commonly chemically modified to convert it to a drying oil.

well they say for cooking use Penut oil, cause it can take the high heat content.

I myself would use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

quote:

Originally posted by oilrecovery2003:
well they say for cooking use Penut oil, cause it can take the high heat content.

I myself would use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Love it too. About all we use, However Hemp Seed OIL, sounds even better!

cool.gif
I wouldn't actually run my engine on the stuff but I have read that a lot of show cars that aren't run have the block filled to the brim with peanut or veggie oil to keep corrosion away.

I think the issue of solidifying is addressed in the literature (happens after about 24 hours of running they state). The key , I believe they say, is going with the unrefined stuff that still has all the antioxidents in it. Right from the crushed bean. they say that the canola is mixed with some other oils like the ones you guys mentioned to improve "consistency" I'd love to get some to try out ...got an old beater that would make the perfect test car since the engine will probably need overhauled in the near future anyway (vintage 71 pontiac 350 with 98k miles on it). I understand that api wouldn't certfy it, so that rules out cars under warranty...of course, it appears that api uncertified oils are looked upon with favor on this site
grin.gif

Over this side of the pond, Castrol make a R30 and R40 racing engine oils.

quote:

The Castrol R oils are castor-based lubricants containing specially selected additives to prevent rapid deterioration through oxidation.
Their tenacious affinity for adhesion to metal surfaces, even when these surfaces are subjected to extreme temperatures, provide consideration with highly stressed engines running at peak revolutions.

The oil is not recommended for street use and is not compatible with any mineral oil or mineral oil additive.

Dave

Years ago on a PBS show they interviewed a chemical engineer who was working on a lubricant that was sugar based (I think it was sugar). If I recall, he would pour a Pepsi or Coke straight into the crank. The key was something that happened to the sugar when heated (and possibly reacted with something else he put in the crank?). A lot of time has elapsed since I saw this show, so my facts are probably WAY off, but I am wondering if anyone has heard of anything similar to this?

The biodegradability of seed oils must be of some interest to machine operators working in enviromentally sensitive areas.
By now there must be technology in place that would allow flax and rape seed, as well as corn and soya bean oils to be used as hydraulic, transmission, and engine lubricants.
Cargill Foods must have a web link that addresses the subject.

[ December 26, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

a friend of mine works on heavy equipment and occasionally in sensative natural areas, he said they use vegstable oil in the engines transmissions and hydraulics of the front end loaders.

I recently ran accross an article on Vegetable(canola) based motor oils. University of Colorado was playing with them in the late 90's. Supposedly they are as good as if not better than synthetics and run about 1.50. Just wondering if anyone out there has run accross this miracle product? I think the product name was amg2000. I wonder if this stuff is for real. Sounds too good to be true

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-029.html

Such an oil would be a 100% natural ester. Remember, Castrol built its reputation in the 40s and 50s on a 100% natural ester based oil derived from the castor bean. One of the esters used in Mobil 1's Tri-Syn formula was a natural ester derived from coconut oil.

I've been running patent searches in my spare time to see if I can run accross something. I also e-mailed some people who supposedly were trying to market it. No luck on either front so far, but I'll keep trying. "I know its out there", and my understanding is that its backyard chemistry. Just mix it in the right amounts, shake it up and put it in your car. Kind of appeals to my non-conformist nature
grin.gif
Hmmmm...hope they don't feature me on the next episode of the X-files.
rolleyes.gif
Anyone hear anything do drop a post.

regards

r.

I read one AMSOIL promotional sheet that displayed a list of oils giving flash points etc (I assume some SAE test battery) where the AMSOIL sheet declared that they were the best synthetic (beat Mobil 1). The odd thing was that Johobba bean oil (spl?) beat them all in ALL (dino and synth)test criteria. This was around 1987-88 ..maybe 1990.

"Jojoba". Interesting thing is that Lubegard states on their web site that they use jojoba, canola, rape seed, sunflower, and several other "seed" oils to syntheisize their "liquid wax ester" that goes into the Lubegard trannie and motor oil supplements ("protectants" is their term, I believe). Sounds like there is something to this, though it's not merely a matter of just shaking and pouring.

I believe vegetable oils have been around a long time,very good wear but some like castor oil were very gummy and dirty burning like in a 2 stroke.One of the schools here was mixing peanut oil in their diesel.

Cool, why not try human oil too!

Seriously though, that reneablelube looks interesting, has anybody used it yet?

I would think this would be a great idea for two cycle oil. I was shocked last summer when I ran my 150hp outboard in a barrel at the amount of oil in the water. I can't believe popular boating lakes aren't just a big oil slick...

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
snip....

Define mineral oil? millions year old plant/seed/algae/dinosaur oil....pumped up from the ground. Why not start with the plant, animal, or seed itself?

IMO, plant oils are the future.

The dino oil and modern synthetics are very different chemically from the vegetable oils. The biggest difference is in unsaturation. The vegetable oils are completely dependent on high levels of additives to avoid polymerization. It is easier to make paint out ot them, than stable lubricating oil.

They might be OK as 2 cycle oils that are quickly consumed. Just don't leave any gas in them over the off season.

Plant oils are the past, and will stay out of my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back