convince me that I should be using synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good synthetic will hold up to higher heat longer and colder cold longer. OIL is so cheap why not go with a better quality lubricant. You put good money into your engine don't go cheap on the oil Call Mobil tech and they will help you select a proper lub.

Most synthetics are super refined conventional oils with good add packs.

Some are high quality synthesized products superior to any conventional.

Group 4 and 5 synthetics pour at -40 degrees(good if you live in Canada or Alaska.)

It's like liquid ball bearings for your engine.

Most synthetics provide superior cleaning ability compared to conventionals.

M1 is the best selling synthetic.

Valvoline has 4x less wear.

Edge has 8x less wear.

Think with your dipstick.

Last edited:
Your car sits a LOT....I would definitely put in Synthetic every Fall...just before storage and start her clean with better quality synthetic ONCE per yr. That is how I handle my sports cars (C5, 94Z28, and 2010 Camaro SS). The synthetic will definitely be more resitant to heat and get lubrication to the head of your rebuilt motor faster. Once a year is good ennough. About same price as your 2 Dino changes.

Thanks for everyones input.

What synthetic 10W-30 oil has at least 1200-1300 ppm of ZDDP, is available locally, and does not cost an arm and a leg as some of the "speciality" oils do?

With an OCI of 3000 miles or less, (twice a year, before and after storage), how much increased engine wear am I looking at by using VR-1 Valvoline instead of synthetic? If VR1 dino oil will protect my engine to 1000000 miles, what would synthetic do for it? I am asking because I know people with similar driving habits that tout their $7.00-$15.00 a quart oil as being the ultimate. To me, without tangible proof, and I don't mean the 3, 4, or 5 ball test or whatever they are using now, I think it is all hype.

People tend to blindly equate price with performance. That is why so many street rodders buy "racing parts", because if it is good for racers, it must be good for my street car. I have seen many cases where expensive racing parts make for a lousy street car.

Using oil that costs over $4.00 a quart more than what I am using now ($24.00 more per OC), over 30 years (90,000 more miles)
will cost me an additional $1340. That will pay for an engine overhaul, if needed.

First you may not live 30 years......

Second, How many things do you blow $ 24.00 on? Food, movies, Cable T.V,Internet...etc.....And that $ 24.00 could be blown in an hour, day, week. The extra 24.00 is for a year.

You have to ask: Is good, good enough or do I want more?

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Second, How many things do you blow $ 24.00 on? Food, movies, Cable T.V,Internet...etc.....And that $ 24.00 could be blown in an hour, day, week. The extra 24.00 is for a year.

I will not live 30 more years. If I do, I will not be driving! It is $24.00 X 2 =$48.00. Two OC a year.

You did not make an arguement why sythetic is better for my situation.

I do not like to [censored] money away without a valid reason. Better money in my pocket than in the pocket of some "speciality" oil company. Thinking like yours has gotten this country where it is today! It's only an extra $48.00 per year!!! But if you have a valid, "verifiable" reason then.....

Spending money on something, without a valid reason, is the reason I made my post.

If you can post some "verifiable" information concerning my topic, rather telling how to spend my money, I would be happy to listen.

Are you saying VR1 is good, good enough, or what? What do you mean by "more". Proof?

Are you using the over priced (in my opinion) "speciality" oils? Just trying to see what your background and/bias may be.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The advantages of syn oil is longer oil change intervals which you aren't doing. Better performance when the oil temperatures are really high which they won't be unless you track the car or tow a heavy trailer I doubt you could run it long enough on the street to get the high temps without getting arrested. Or a really good reason is below freezing startups I am sure the car is garaged. I am you older grandson you never met.

I think this sums it up for the OP.

Thats an interesting way of looking at it.

glen242:

I can not really convince you if your OCI's are 3,000 miles and money is an issue. Your oil will work fine. However with only running 3,000 miles a year you could switch to Syn oil and change it once a year...hence the $ 24.00 I mentioned.

I did mention in my earlier post why I think Syn oil is better but I will state it again plus some.

1. It is a purer product to begin with so it is less likely to leave deposits
2. It handles heat better
3. It handles cold better
4. It handles load stress better and shears less
5. It holds viscosity better
6. They usually have stronger additive packages
7. Less likely to oxidize or evaporate
8. You can safely run longer OCI's

Once again does everyone have to run Syn Oil...No

Dino oils are very good today and will suit almost everyones basic needs for lubrication. But if you are the kind of person that wants the best for your vehicle then Syn oil is better than dino oil.

I run Syn oil in all my vehicles. I currently am running Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 in 2 vehicles and am testing Castrol Edge 5w-30 in another. I have also used Castrol Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum and regular Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower.

Everyone spends or blows money on what they want. I could blow an extra $ 48.00 a year on going to the movies, a fancy steakhouse to eat a steak that I could eat at home or at a cheaper restaurant. Some spend money on their cars beefing up the motor or putting fancy parts in the engine to make it showy.

To each their own. My point is I want to run the best in my car and the extra money it costs does not bother me in the grand scheme of things I spend my money on. Now I do buy my oil on sale or at Walmart in the jug to save some cash but that is the extent that I care about the cost. I love my cars and they love me........

Last edited:
Wow, Do you get a bonus for the hard sell?
54.gif

So many posts (you do get the prize) in just this thread...

Your last sentence covers it all... (and your cars could care less what oil you use, just that you CHANGE IT)

Originally Posted By: glen242
I do not like to [censored] money away without a valid reason. Better money in my pocket than in the pocket of some "speciality" oil company. Thinking like yours has gotten this country where it is today! It's only an extra $48.00 per year!!! But if you have a valid, "verifiable" reason then.....

Spending money on something, without a valid reason, is the reason I made my post.

If you can post some "verifiable" information concerning my topic, rather telling how to spend my money, I would be happy to listen.

Are you saying VR1 is good, good enough, or what? What do you mean by "more". Proof?

Are you using the over priced (in my opinion) "speciality" oils? Just trying to see what your background and/bias may be.

I agree with you. Plenty of people have to JUSTIFY their spending of $$ for something in the end does not matter for 99% of us.

I'd rather save the $$ in the FIRST place then have to justify it (ie.. not going to the steak house because I blew the $$ on oil)

You are doing fine!

Take care, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Just stating the facts that are out there Bill.

I told ya to sue all the evil lying Oil Companies for lying to us about the benefits of Syn oil.

Have you done that yet?.............
wink.gif

Last edited:
Just stating the facts that are out there Bill.

I told ya to sue all the evil lying Oil Companies for lying to us about the benefits of Syn oil.

Have you done that yet?.............
wink.gif

Nope, just proving how well the marketing is working for some folks!
whistle.gif

Evil Oil Companies hypnotist:

You are getting sleepy...very sleepy.......

When you awake at the snap of my finger ZZman you will believe that Syn oil is the best for your car.

1,2,3 snap..........
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Valvoline VR-1 is the PERFECT oil for this car and this application. High ZDDP, decently thick 10w-30, with 1 year oil drains, this oil will protect the flat tappet cam very well. One year drains would be fine if it's only driven 3,000 miles.

Actually, in an application like this, I personally would be anal and might drain more often. I'm sure a HO carbed beast like this get's driven fairly hard, and I bet the oil gets loaded up with fuel pretty quickly.

Evil Oil Companies hypnotist:

You are getting sleepy...very sleepy.......

When you awake at the snap of my finger ZZman you will believe that Syn oil is the best for your car.

1,2,3 snap..........
banana2.gif

You are doing well with those factual posts there!
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like the OP has his head on right. How about rebutting his comments instead of something like your last post?
54.gif
(like the $1300+ extra he would spend..)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back