"Conventional" SP oils in TGDI engines

"Delo® 600 ADF 10W-30 ISOCLEAN® Certified Lubricant with OmniMax is a premium, high-performance, long drain and mixedfleet engine oil using synthetic technology."

Agree...
Concerning this specific product, I guess it depends what Chevron's definition of "Synthetic Technology" is (means syntheticto me). But it does say so right on the bottle.

Screenshot_20200803-153120_Google.jpg

But to the OP's question, these new API SP oils will undoubtedly be blends as seen on a PYB 5w20 jug this morning. I see no reason why these oils wouldn't work if proper oci and viscosity is used.

20200803_090431.jpg

Last edited:
Ecotec models in Opel vehicles required synthetics since mid-1990's. Try that conventional oil on auto bahn and see what happens after some time.
Also, I have non turbo engine in BMW. Should I use conventional? I mean it only runs at 113c in normal regime.

I knew there were a few models- but in this case it sounds like the whole line of them. Interesting since GM started putting Ecotec engines back in 2002 in the J bodies, Saturn Ion and Vue- could run on ol’ 5w30 Dino. Makes me wonder if it was higher standards, colder/warmer temps, or something else that would have it require synthetic oil. I do know that the US Ecotec engines were different than the ones in Europe..

For the BMW, I personally would run synthetic, just because it being a “driver’s” car, it might see a bit more spirited driving than say, a Camry would..... :) But with the cost being close-would be up to you....

I knew there were a few models- but in this case it sounds like the whole line of them. Interesting since GM started putting Ecotec engines back in 2002 in the J bodies, Saturn Ion and Vue- could run on ol’ 5w30 Dino. Makes me wonder if it was higher standards, colder/warmer temps, or something else that would have it require synthetic oil. I do know that the US Ecotec engines were different than the ones in Europe..

For the BMW, I personally would run synthetic, just because it being a “driver’s” car, it might see a bit more spirited driving than say, a Camry would..... :) But with the cost being close-would be up to you....
There is no up to me. BMW requires synthetics since 1990 in their engines.
Opel required synthetics since they developed 2.0 16V with Cosworth in 1991.
There are too many variables as why manufacturers require synthetics, it is not only wear, but emission systems, valvetrain etc.

AAA Synthetic Oil Study

Note: A link to the study is in that article. Couldn't upload it directly.

3 out of 5 Conventionals left fewer deposits in the D7097 TEOST MHT Test than the best of 5 Synthetics.

That's cherry picking the data but I'm just trying to point out today's Group II's (or Blends) are not the 25%+ NOACK Group I's that started the Synthetic Only idea with Turbos.

Last edited:
"Delo® 600 ADF 10W-30 ISOCLEAN® Certified Lubricant with OmniMax is a premium, high-performance, long drain and mixedfleet engine oil using synthetic technology."

Not trying to prove you wrong but look up Chevron Ursa Super Plus EC

Although my fleet is small (16 Diesels total with 7 running current emissions equipment) we use this with UOA and have great results.
All you need to meet current emissions is a CK-4 rating. Even Delo 400 SDE is not a synthetic and I'd say more trucks than not are still using non-synthetic HDEO these days.

That may just really tell you just how much difference there really is.

We buy in bulk and directly from a 1st source Chevron blender/bottler. While talking to them today on an unrelated matter, my rep. shared an emailed memo from Chevron stating that the Pro DS line will be the first to roll out with the new SP rating attached to it. This will be followed the 4th quarter of this year by Havoline and Chevron Supreme lines including a labeling update. So good news for us Supreme and Havoline users.

Back