Conventional or Synthetic in my Daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Accord is a V6 6-speed with 227k on the clock. Been on synthetic oil it's whole life. Sadly I'm planning to get rid of it in two years, looking to get a newer daily. My commute to work and back is 20 miles each way, and I maybe take 2-4, 5 mile trips around town during the weekend. Given this I can follow the "normal" service schedule. The car is specced for an OCI of 7,500 or 6 months on 5w-20 conventional oil. OFCI is 15k or 1yr.

Should I use 5w-20 Pennzoil YB and change it every 7.5k/6mon
Or
Should I use Mobil 1 0w-20 EP or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 for 15k/1yr?

I would save a little money doing the synthetic every 15k and I could get the advantage of 0w oil.
What do you think?

227k and no issues.... Keep doing what you're doing. Don't change a gawd dam thing. Even though with current SN oils, the differences are more minor than before you car can still start reacting different to a different oil and it may not be a good reaction.

If you want to go for 1 year oil changes, I would recommend something like Royal Purple. I dont know about using M1 that long.

If using Mobil 1, I would do twice a year or no more than 7.5k mile intervals.

YMMV. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
If you want to go for 1-year oil changes, I would recommend something like Royal Purple. I don't know about using M1 that long.

YMMV. Good luck!

+1....IMHO...Royal Purple 0w20 or 5w20 is the way to go!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
If you want to go for 1 year oil changes, I would recommend something like Royal Purple. I dont know about using M1 that long.

YMMV. Good luck!

Hogwash, M1 EP 0w-20 is a majority PAO oil (confirmed with their MSDS) rated to 15k or 1 year oil changes. How is that inferior to the predominately group III Royal Purple?

OP, stick with what works. M1 EP 0w-20 is an outstanding oil for your application.

strictly utilitarian, mass-produced automobile ---> conventional API SN/ILSAC GF5 will do justice.

Too much money to spend perhaps, but I see far too many people driving mass-produced, utilitarian-based gasoline automobile going fancy, with all sorts of arguments (mostly for the sake of bragging rights/self-gratifying).

Wifey's 2AZ-FE camry is now over 210k on either PYB/QState Green, OCI every 5k: no oil burning, no oil leaks, no abnormal wear in engine that may lead to failure of annual emissions inspections.

All my other clienteles cars, incl my own fit, are all on conventional oil these days, citing that (a) they are not high power/output to begin with; (b) price difference between national brand name so-called syn oil and conventional oil here in my area is significant.

5K OCI and whatever the latest specs work for all the cars I deal with.

Q.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
My Accord is a V6 6-speed with 227k on the clock. Been on synthetic oil it's whole life. Sadly I'm planning to get rid of it in two years, looking to get a newer daily. My commute to work and back is 20 miles each way, and I maybe take 2-4, 5 mile trips around town during the weekend. Given this I can follow the "normal" service schedule. The car is specced for an OCI of 7,500 or 6 months on 5w-20 conventional oil. OFCI is 15k or 1yr.

Should I use 5w-20 Pennzoil YB and change it every 7.5k/6mon
Or
Should I use Mobil 1 0w-20 EP or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 for 15k/1yr?

I would save a little money doing the synthetic every 15k and I could get the advantage of 0w oil.
What do you think?

Your daily driving is easy on oil, I would use M1 EP 0W20 with Fram Ultra XG3717 for 1 year OCI/FCI. Also have 1 extra quart M1 EP 0W20 for top off is needed.

My 21 year old LS400 with 370+k miles had 1 year OCI with various brands synthetic and low to mid price oil filter, with dino oil the OCI was 7-8k/6mo OCI and 1 year FCI. The engine is running well, but body and interior parts are falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back