conventional motor oil gone, synthetic blend in older vehicles?

Find a local oil distributor and buy a 5 gallon bucket of their house brand product. Will be by far your cheapest oil. You can probably get a syn blend 5w30 for ~$65-70. Or $3.50 a quart.

Get a funnel, refill your 5qt jugs to top your vehicle off.

Or buy a 6 gallon bag in a box if you have a shelf for it. Might be even a bit cheaper now with the cost of buckets.

After reading this forum it seems conventional oil is gone and i haven't been able to find any at the local stores. How will the synthetic blend affect older high mileage vehicles?

I have two older high mileage vehicles that do not leak or use any oil. One is a 1996 Tacoma with 210,000 miles on it and the other a 2011 corolla with 190,000 miles that gets driven 20,000 + miles a year now.

These two vehicles have never seen synthetic oil. The corolla book says to use 0w-20 or 5w-20. I've been using pennzoil 5w20 conventional all it's life. The tacoma i've always used 10w-30 conventional.

Should i use full or synthetic blend in these vehicles?

Some say it can cause a leak others say it will be fine. I did look at the specs sheets for pennzoil 5w20 conventional vs 5w-20 synthetic blend and to me i don't see much of a difference.

In my newer vehicles i have used full synthetic since day one with zero issues but they where new without a lot of miles.

I've never used the so called high mileage oil as i have no leaks and never have to add oil between changes.

Thanks for the help! :)
Chevron supreme 10w30 is still conventional. Your fine using a blend in your old car though

Chevron Supreme is still conventional; isn't it?
I read somewhere on the internet that most HDEOs are group one and two blends, and the single grades are group one. A synthetic blend is a group one and either three and four added. Chevron states in their salesfax that their synthetic technology engine oils are group two and three blends. Petro Canada LD 10w30 and 15w40 appear to be group two and three blends, but only your hairdresser knows for sure.

I read somewhere on the internet that most HDEOs are group one and two blends, and the single grades are group one. A synthetic blend is a group one and either three and four added. Chevron states in their salesfax that their synthetic technology engine oils are group two and three blends. Petro Canada LD 10w30 and 15w40 appear to be group two and three blends, but only your hairdresser knows for sure.
:)

Group 1’s are significantly more expensive per gallon. (See lubes’n’greases base oil report.)

It makes absolutely no sense to use a group 1 anymore unless you have to for additive blending reasons. Or, of course making very heavy products.

Shopping in Food Lion today and they had conventional Havoline in 5W20 and 10W40. My Yamalube 10W30 that was delivered from Amazon today is conventional.

Shopping in Food Lion today and they had conventional Havoline in 5W20 and 10W40. My Yamalube 10W30 that was delivered from Amazon today is conventional.
5w20 may say conventional but it will be a blend. A 10w40 could be all group 2, I guess. Read some Amazon reviews of "conventional" oils that were rebranded as blends. A lot of not very sophisticated customers complained because synthetic is phony and not really oil. Don't think there's many SP oils out there still branding themselves as conventional. Most of them have taken the branding plunge.

5w20 may say conventional but it will be a blend. A 10w40 could be all group 2, I guess. Read some Amazon reviews of "conventional" oils that were rebranded as blends. A lot of not very sophisticated customers complained because synthetic is phony and not really oil. Don't think there's many SP oils out there still branding themselves as conventional. Most of them have taken the branding plunge.
Huh?
Nothing is as it seems.
The moon walk was fake too!
Is Santa Claus really real?

If synthetic oil caused leaks, surely it was way back when synthetic oil really was synthetic. I still find a strong prejudice against synthetic on old motorcycle forums and I sure it will be the same for cars. I point out that unless they are paying a very high price for the oil then regardless of how it's labelled and marketed, the oil will be a blend or a group III, and not a true full synthetic oil and therefore stop worrying.

I've been using "synthetic" oil in my 1979 BMW for years without any increase in leaks or any other problems.

Well, conventional motor oil really has not been "conventional" for a few years now. They have been a blend of various base stocks which are conventional and synthetic in order to meet various manufacturers and industry requirements since SN oils came into the picture. Sometimes product data sheets mentioned the oils were a blend and sometimes they did not.

It really does not matter which type of oil you choose - a synthetic blend oil or a "fully synthetic" oil. The final product has to meet or exceed a given specification for a given oil such as 0W20 or 5W20. Plus your engine will not know the difference between a synthetic blend and a "full synthetic" motor oil.

Since your engine is not dripping or leaking oil, you do not need to worry about using a high mileage motor oil. However, if you go with, say, a full synthetic 0w20 or 5w20 oil, you might initially see some seepage or a few drips, and this is not so much due to the change to a fully synthetic motor oil, but is due to a different additive package being used than what your previous oils used. Give it a few oil changes and the seepage and drips should go away. If not, then you can consider using a high mileage motor oil which will likely have more seal conditioners present and have a slightly higher operating viscosity than the oils you have been using.
I use full synthetic in my Model A.

Back