Conventional in a Mustang V8...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Yes it meets Ford spec. I checked over the owners manual as soon as I got home on that one.

If it meets Ford spec then should be OK, but I'd at least go for the MC synthetic blend.
Why is that about using M/C oil?

That Mustang doesn't have a high performance engine. It has a large engine resulting in a good amount of HP and torque, but it has about the same HP and torque per liter of smaller 4 cylinder of the same era.
So there is no reason why it would need a synthetic if it doesn't call for one. The Focus RS has half the engine size at 2.3L and more HP at 350. If your engine put out that kind of power per liter, you'd have 700 HP.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
dino will be just fine to use in the Mustang
smile.gif

But would you do it? Would you dump Super Tech 5w-20 conventional into that sump or would YOU pay for better? Im not asking if I can do it Im asking if you guys would do that?

It depends on the OCI and driving conditions
smile.gif

For a short OCI of 5k or less, or if it has the IOLM, and I needed the absolute cheapest oil with no rebates, I'd totally use Smitty's (which often costs less than Walmart ST).

For a longer OCI with no IOLM, or for fans of rebates which can make synthetic equal or cheaper than dino, then I'd use synthetic. Also, if the particular engine is a known sludger (Toyota's 1MZ, VW/Audi 1.8T, etc), then synthetic is a must.

Does that engine have any known issues in regards to sludge, or anything that would severely impact oil life? Does your car have the IOLM? Do you plan on modifying it?

I just feel like a **** putting cheap oil in my dream car

Don't be a ****...use Castrol Magnatec Blend.

Top synthetics like Pennz Plat, QSUD, and Mobil 1 are on sale during the year. With rebate your net cost for 5 qt jugs from Walmart is $10-$12. A top synthetic filter like Fram Ultra is $6-$9. So that's around $20 in OCI supplies. You could bring those to an oil change facility and have them do the labor for $10-$15 max. Total higher end synthetic oil change cost of $35. No way would I use SuperTech conventional or other conventionals which cost the same (or more) as these synthetics on sale...and certainly not in my 1999 Camaro SS. You can have Walmart ship this oil and filter to your door if the order is over $50. I was really spoiled this past month when getting a net 75c/quart of QSUD from my local AAP...and the Defy synblend at 39c. Cheap synthetics are the norm today. I wouldn't settle for same-priced conventionals even for low miles OCI's.

Cheap oil are the quality synthetics. I can't buy Pennz PYB as cheap as I can get Pennz Platinum. And Plat is on sale/rebate the whole rest of 2017. It was also on rebate all of 2016 too. Conventionals can't compete unless they're priced under $2/qt and even then there are quality/performance differences to justify buying the synthetics for $10-12/jug. I never see SuperTech on sale for any decent price worth getting it. It would have to be $5/jug or less.

I would just keep going to Advance Auto Parts and buying clearance oil
laugh.gif

Edge and Quaker State 5w20 are being cleared out down here in FL, not sure about WA though.
$1.35qt for Edge or QS which has been under $2, sometimes as low as $.45

On an 06 mustang, u can use dino and it’ll be just fine. Just change it at dino oil intervals. That smittys 5 or 10w30 syn blend for $8 / jug is perfect for 5k oci in ur ride

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yes it meets Ford spec. I checked over the owners manual as soon as I got home on that one.

If it meets Ford spec then should be OK, but I'd at least go for the MC synthetic blend.
Why is that about using M/C oil?

It's not really about MC, but about using something better than conventional for not much more cost.

Back in the day I bought synthetic oil(late eighties, Mobil 1 was the most popular choice) for the promises of more hp, improved mpg and less friction. I'm sure conventional oil then wasn't even in the same ballpark as today's much improved conventional.
What will be your OCI?

there is a thread just a couple pages back on pick 1 oil for rest of your life. that basically is the survey of results that the op should look at of dream oil.

The best Mustang there ever was was a 1986 Mustang GT.

Guess which oil it took ? I'll give you a hint -- it wasn't 5W-20.
grin2.gif

Super Tech conventional is junk, use something good like Pennzoil, Quaker or Mobil conventionals. ST turns to solid wax in the cold unlike the others. You get what you pay for, buy the good stuff and spend the extra few bucks, your engine will thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back