Conventional ("dino") oil in turbos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone running conventional oil in their turbo applications? I ask, because I did a search on the UOA forum using "turbo, conventional" and "turbo, dino" and found no hits. Seems like virtually all the turbo UOAs are for Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I've got a pair of older Volvo turbos (B230FT motors) which don't see a lot of mileage (probably 8-10K per year). I'd like to run Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 in them (for about 1/3 the cost of Mobil 1) unless that raises any red flags with anyone.

I heard turbos cook the oil. Regular dino cooks at lower heat than synthetics so it will break down sooner. If you use Delo 400 which is designed for diesels and some are turbo charged, I would feel safe using it.

Leo

There are many, many Volvo and Saab turbos around that have seen nothing but a study diet of dino juice with no ill effect. I put 200,000 miles on my 740 on nothing by dino 10W-30 at 5000 mile intervals. Granted, it was water cooled, but the turbo still ran a strong the day I sold it as it ran when I bought it new. However, my newer S70 T5 does get real synthetic most of the time (Amsoil 10W-30). Right now I testing it with some Schaeffer’s Series 7000 parasynthetic 10W-30.

I'd say if it's a turbo-approved oil, even if dino, it should be fine.

As always, a turbo-charged engine needs to cool down before it's shut off. Many people negelect that, and that does ruin a turbo quickly.

Not a huge concern if you do:

a) slow diving NO BOOST warm-ups
b) longish idledowns with a cooling system in perfect working order
c) 3000 or LESS OCI's

I push the limit on all three, as do most drivers, so synthetic IS better.

If any engine deserves a synthetic, than it's a turbo.

If you really want to run dino that throw on a turbo timer and choose an oil with a high flash point and lot's of Moly.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
Is anyone running conventional oil in their turbo applications? I ask, because I did a search on the UOA forum using "turbo, conventional" and "turbo, dino" and found no hits. Seems like virtually all the turbo UOAs are for Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I've got a pair of older Volvo turbos (B230FT motors) which don't see a lot of mileage (probably 8-10K per year). I'd like to run Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 in them (for about 1/3 the cost of Mobil 1) unless that raises any red flags with anyone.

quote:

Turbo Approved? By who? I always took that as an oil company marketing gimmick.

Just buy an oil that's Porsche approved.
wink.gif

shocked.gif
crushedcar.gif

If you have older oil cooled turbos, using dino
oil is a really bad idea.

Don't do it!!

thanks

Jae

I used dino for yrs in my old Mazda turbo (water cooled) but only syn now (replacement turbo's are big $$$). Three Auto-Rx cleans before adding Motul and better than ever.

Bob

I'll be drawing the Schaeffer's #700 15w-40 sample on Saturday. This will be a few hundred miles short of the 10,000 mile mark on my TDI.

Can't wait to see the results!

I ran Castrol and Valvoline dino in my 85 Subaru (oil cooled) for 140k with a Frantz by-pass filter. I'm not sure if synthetics were around back then. I know the failure rate was high back then.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:

94` F-250 with a turbo diesel. Have used Delo 400 15W-40 for 180,000 miles so far. Had to replace one fuel injector and one glow plug relay is all.

I use Motorcraft filters.

I reckon it would be OK to run Dino juice if you dont drive the too hard. I would only consider a Grp II or equivalent like Penzzoil Purebase or Schaeffers. However people who drive their turbo cars hard like they were designed for, synthetic is the only way to go!!

Hi,

there are hundreds of thousands of turbo cars and trucks that have never had a synthetic oil near them. They have survived. Early turbo's during the 60's & 70's were prone to premature failure due to wrong placement causing rapid oil drain back - and next to no idle down, along with early oil technology

Very few car makers had a diesel oil class recommended back then ( eg. SJ/CD Cat Series 3, etc )except from memory Mercedes, VW and Porsche. They all probably should have!

Yes, Porsche approval is a good point but so is the MB approvals along with A3-96>/B3-96>, and a mandatory diesel rating of CD+

Turbo's are best treated as a mandatory idle-down deveice and usually one minute is enough in most cases. This also stabilises the coolant temperature reducing localised "hot spots" etc.

In the 60's I replaced many turbos in earthmovers (dozers, loaders, scrapers etc. ) and in heavy trucks due to "wear out" - they do not generally give problems in installations today. And especially not in cars

I must say though that I would only run synthetics today in my gear - in a wide range of motorbikes, cars, utes and trucks

Subaru calls for very light oils in their turbo cars today - to help prevent turbo lag on accelleration, along with other reasons

Doug Hillary
Airlie Beach - Tropical North Queensland - Australia
MY02 Subaru Outback 2.5
MY98 BMW Z3 2.8
MY89 Porsche 928 S4

I think Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 or any CI-4/SL 15W-40 motor oil should do very well in your Volvo. If you do a UOA you may even find that you can go 4,000 or 5,000 miles safely.

"Turbo approved" can be a marketing gimmick, but API used to/still does have "CF" classification for gasoline turbo engines (not to be confused with old diesel CF).

Is this gas turbo CF still in place?? I am no API guru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back