Convection oven cooking tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched from a electric range to a gas range with a convection oven. I've heard the usual "reduce cooking time by 25%" and "reduce temperature by 25*F". Any other tips to cooking with a convection oven?

Homemade pizza's turns out waaaaaaaaay better baked in a convection oven. Lots of things turn out better in a convection oven. My tip is to try baking things you've possibly been missing out on.

Many modern convection ovens actually adjust the time/temp down for you automatically. I suggest you consult the manual.

My parents' GE Profile (about 10 years old at this point), actually says to just enter the normal cook time and temperature and it will decrease it to account for the convection.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Homemade pizza's turns out waaaaaaaaay better baked in a convection oven. Lots of things turn out better in a convection oven. My tip is to try baking things you've possibly been missing out on.

This +1

Drat! I was hoping to avoid cracking the owners manual!
grin.gif

Will peruse the manual and see what it says about this. I'm interested in trying it out with some zucchini bread.

We have a Jenn-Air convection oven.

One of the coolest thing about it is that it is a great dryer.

My wife dries a lot of sliced tomatoes in it, Fake "Sun dried" Tomatoes
smile.gif

Best tip I can come up with for changing cooking appliances full stop is take a couple of old faithfuls, like a roast chicken and baked vegetables, a home made pizza dough, and simple bread/beer bread (and if you are inclined, a couple packet cakes) and put it through it's paces.

Reason is that if you cook some simple stuff that you've got experience with, you'll feel how the new one works differently quickly.

We've had a gas convection oven for almost 20 years now, and it is far better and faster than non-convection ovens. If done correctly, they also eliminate hot and cold spots in the oven.

It takes a bit of experimentation, but if you really enjoy cooking, once you get used to it you'll never want to go back.

I put some zucchini bread in there and followed the recommendations for baking. We'll see!

Update: The zucchini bread came out perfectly. I slightly undercooked a batch of cookies, but not horribly so. They're quite chewy instead of slightly crispy. I'll eat them either way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back