Conv or synthetic in my situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I'm curious in my 2.4 dart if it would be ok to run a conventional oil over synthetic and follow the olm. I change it when olm hits between 20-10% I usually run 5w30 synpower in it and that seems ok. I'm going back to college so I'll only be working part time so if money can be safely saved I'm all for it. If not that's also ok. What do you guys think?

No need for synthetic oil unless you find it very cheap on clearance. Dino oil will do just fine.

The only spec I see is ms-6395. Which is a basic Chrysler spec isn’t it? Would it be muliti air play apart in this discussion?

On my 14 dart It has the 2.4 50,000 miles. I want to use a synthetic go about 5,000 miles what viscosity should I run and what oil and filter? I want something robust because I gather multi air is hard on oil. Also I’m good with value alternatives as I don’t see a reason to pay more for no benefit. The car does get driven pretty hard at times. I look forward to your opinions and thoughts.

For a 5k oci: Amsoil OE 5w-20 and a Fram TG 10060 filter.
thumbsup2.gif

QSUD is priced nicely at WM, and is good syn oil. You could always use Supertech syn to save a lil $. Use the weight recommended by FCA. I like Wix filters.

Amsoil would be a huge waste of money for a 5,000 mile OCI. Any synthetic that you can find at Walmart would be suitable for that application and would provide far more value for your money. I'm assuming your vehicle is still under warranty so I would use the grade and OCI recommended by your owner's manual until the warranty is over, then you can change grades / lengthen your OCI as you see fit.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Amsoil would be a huge waste of money for a 5,000 mile OCI. Any synthetic that you can find at Walmart would be suitable for that application and would provide far more value for your money. I'm assuming your vehicle is still under warranty so I would use the grade and OCI recommended by your owner's manual until the warranty is over, then you can change grades / lengthen your OCI as you see fit.

Im not to concerned about the warranty but yea it is for a few more months.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
For 5K on a Dart: Supertech syn and ST filter. Save your money towards a better car
smile.gif

This is my second dart and my wife owns one. We’ve been very happy with them.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
That’s good then, Ram. My stepson wasn’t so lucky with his Dart.

I’m a Pennzoil Guy, so Pennz Platinum and Fram Ultra.

What kind of issues has his had? The ddct is a problem child for sure. Some of the 2.4 burn oil. They were a flawed car but I do love them. They have tons of personality.

Whatever synthetic is on sale and a Fram TG filter.

ANY oil that meets specs..... conv or synthetic..... will last.

Buy what is on sale or with a rebate.

Any filter will be fine, but I personally shy away from anything Purolator (tearing issues) made.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Castrol Magnatec full synthetic, Wix oil filter
smile.gif

or napa silver/proslect

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Castrol Magnatec full synthetic, Wix oil filter

Or a Napa Gold, same filter. Also QSUD a WM value priced solid syn choice for 5k mile oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back