Continental Cross-Contact for my SUV - Good or bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a set of 255-70-18 Conti X-Contacts for my '07 Expedition EL. The OEM Pirelli Scorpions have to be on it, in decent condition (or new Scorpions) when the lease is up, so I figured I'd get a new set now, because I'll probably put 30K or more on it before lease-end, and save the Scorpions for lease return time.

Replacement Scorpions and X-Contacts are available at TireRack (Contis are about $20 more, apiece) but the X-Contacts are rated significantly higher at their "Review" page. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTir...18&startIndex=0

I've had pretty good luck with Conti's on my last Expedition (got over 40K out of them), and figured it's pretty much a no-brainer. What think ye?
21.gif

I've got continental Contitrac tires as OEM on my Ford Ranger. These things wear like iron, got 70,000 miles on them and still have 1/32" inch to go to get to the wear bars. I'm thinking I've got another 7k before I need a new set.

You're in luck. Consumer Reports just released their ratings for light truck tires, and the Continental CrossContact LX is their #2-rated tire. The only real negative bubble it got was in the "Ice Braking" category.

That said, it was behind the #1 General Grabber HTS by a fair margin. The Grabber out-performed the CrossContact in a number of categories. The only category in which it did not is projected treadlife, which probably doesn't apply to you anyway, as an Expedition lessee. If you have a General dealer nearby, and if that Grabber HTS is available in your size, I'd give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back