Conti Extreme Contacts, best a/s tire made, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last winter was a breeze in my quattro, but the Contis are a lil worn so I decided to get snows for this year. Anyway, the Contis are incredible. I have had nearly every a/s tire made and CECs rock. They are the closest thing to Rallye tires I can think of. "Shark-fin Biomechanics", sick. Get them, now.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
What do you think of the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S?

I've got these on the front of my C5 and am very impressed with their handling in the dry (and wet!), and might buy a pair for the back as well, this way I can avoid switching over to winter tires. Although I keep hearing how good the CECs are in the snow so I'm considering them too.

I won't drive my C5 in deep snow, just light stuff. Most of the winter our roads are dry or just slightly slushy. We only get a handful of really bad snowfalls each season. So switching over to winter tires is just a huge hassle, especially since I cannot afford seperate winter rims for this car. So I hate the thought of mounting and remounting tires twice a year.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Last winter was a breeze in my quattro, but the Contis are a lil worn so I decided to get snows for this year. Anyway, the Contis are incredible. I have had nearly every a/s tire made and CECs rock. They are the closest thing to Rallye tires I can think of. "Shark-fin Biomechanics", sick. Get them, now.
grin.gif

I recommended these to my brother for his Saab 95 Aero (uses 17"-40 series tires) based on tirerack evaluation for winter driving. Its nice to know another opinion.

In saab 9-3 sport sedan (03-) circles it seems that the CECs are prefered over the p-zero neros and the p-zero summer tires originally fitted on some of the cars.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
In saab 9-3 sport sedan (03-) circles it seems that the CECs are prefered over the p-zero neros and the p-zero summer tires originally fitted on some of the cars.

The one thing which has me leaning more towards the P Zero Neros for the back is the fact that I would also have a fully matched set of tires. The Tirerack survey shows the Pirellis beating the CECs in pretty much every respect except for snow traction, but even then it's the difference between a survey score of 7.9 for the CEC and 7.5 for the Pirelli.

Besides, the Pirelli has the nicer looking tread pattern of the two, and this is somewhat important to me, considering the rear tires on my Corvette are so wide and are "on display" somewhat when someone is sitting behind you in traffic.

i have the cec's and they are fabulous in all conditions. the awd of the subie helps as well, but the re-92's on prior were bad on snow and not that hot in rain.

the cec's only downfall is that my gas mileage has gone down a bit since installation.

quote:

I have had nearly every a/s tire made and CECs rock.

I wanted to get them for my g/f's Jetta, but they don't come in 195/65/15, so I ended up getting her Nokian WRs. Incredible in the snow, yet still OK to drive on year round. I'll be getting a set for myself, too.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

I wanted to get them for my g/f's Jetta, but they don't come in 195/65/15, so I ended up getting her Nokian WRs. Incredible in the snow, yet still OK to drive on year round. I'll be getting a set for myself, too.

I bought some Kumho KW17s for my wife's car last fall, they are an H rated snow tire, but since their tread looked more conventional, I decided to leave them on for the rest of the year too. They seem to do just fine, even on hot days, and the tread is still in very good shape. I figured a dedicated snow tire would wear out very fast in the summer, but they aren't. So I'll keep them on there for at least one more year, maybe even two, then buy another complete set again. I just didn't see the point of switching back and forth in her car, she wouldn't notice the handling loss anyhow. But yet she now has much better rain capabilities than she did with any other tire that has been on her car.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I just didn't see the point of switching back and forth in her car, she wouldn't notice the handling loss anyhow.

Hehe... that was my thinking, too. WR is really an all-season tire (comes in H and V rating), but geared more towards winter conditions. It gets a bit soft during hot summer days, but if you don't push it too much, it's not a problem.

My winter Michelin Pilot Alpins are the same way - I could run them all year long if I wanted to, but then I'd feel bad about my summer 17" rims with max. perf. tires sitting in the basement.
smile.gif

I wouldn't recommend Pilot Alpins though - not that good in snow.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

I agree that Nokian WR's are incredible in snow (essentially a snow tire) however they are not very precise in turning or hard cornering. You can't have everything and its nice not to have to dismount them off every season. My wife has these tires.

I am mounting those H-Rated Viking snows and figure my Mother-in-Law will drive on them for a summer after I am done with them. Same wheel bolt pattern, A4/A6.
rolleyes.gif

I loved my CECs when I first put them on my Saab 9-5 a year ago, felt very close to a perf. summer tire.

I wasn't impressed with the snow traction so picked up Nokian WR's. Wow these things rock in the snow!

Now with 5/32 tread left on the Conti's, I have encountered balancing problems with 2 of the tires. It's to the point that I can't wait to replace them. They were good for the first 10-15K miles, but I know I won't be buying them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back