content/not content-Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just use the 0w30 GC and do a UOA - used oil analysis.

There are a few C5 owners on this board and they all love the German Syntec in their Vette.

So then - from the sounds of it (no pun intended).... your noise problem was not cured by removing that perfectly fine Bosch filter.

I'm ditching Mobil-1 too because of sound. The wear levels are fine, it's just an engine sound that's asking me to change. Either Platinum or GC is going in next time-around.

Penzoil Plat. 5/30 meets GM spec you reference. You might give it a look.
cheers.gif

Plenty of good oils out there that meet the GM 4718 spec including Pennzoil Platinum and Amsoil. GC works well for many, but you might have warranty concerns, so I understand. You might give a go at the M1 Extended Performance 10w30 to see if that solves your problem. I personally haven't heard this supposed "noise issue", but then again maybe I haven't used any of the latest stock of M1 yet.

I switched from Chevron dino to Mobil 1 in my new Civic and was very disconcerted at the noise, then came here and found it was a common problem. Switched to Penn Platinum and it got significantly worse. Back to Chevron Supreme 5W20 and much quieter. Gas mileage data collected over the life of the car shows 1.2 mpg better on the Chevron, which seems odd to me.

Thanks LT4 and Triple_Se7en for your comments/suggestions. I forgot to mention that I already have a couple of "jugs"of PP but feel that the jury is still out on that "new" syn process. Seems like users are generally liking it but..... As far as the 0/30 GC goes it has a good track record but I worry about the heat these 5.7's produce in traffic especially if your cooling fans are not reprogrammed. I've had vettes from 1957 vintage on up and they virtually all run hot in traffic(why GM won't design a more stable cooling system in this car I don't understand) Other cars that I have owned and presently own all are totally capable of maintaining engine temps even in a major traffic jam. Anyway I diverge.

I too understand the heat issue. Here in Phoenix traffic jams... My Miata will send the temp needle creeping higher if I don't keep moving. We're talking 90's + temps. Even 100's. Traffic does not help the matter. I can't bring myself to use a GC type oil yet... I think I'm going to give Castrol 5W-40 a shot. Porsche approved and ACEA. Either that or their 10w-40. I too have had issues with Mobil 1. IMHO, they should re-think their marketing and build a high performance oil for those of us who want the best and will pay for it. Regardless of OCI's.

For almost two years, I have been happily using Mobil 1 0W-40 in my VW Passat 1.8T. I plan a UOA with my next oil change (every 6 months, which works out to just under 3k mi / 5k km these days).

If this noise issue is as bad as some say it is, I wonder how people can allow themselves to buy a new noisy sounding Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Corvette, Porsche, Aston Martin, Cadillac XLR, or Dodge Viper?
dunno.gif

I can tell you this Mr. 427Z06; My 2005 CR-V has gotten VERY VERY noisy on Amsoil 0w-30 + EaO filter for the last 4k. Factory fill in to 4163k, now has 8k+. I know the syn has no ill effects at this point, it just sounds like thrashing. I'm not worried about protection, just want quietness.
I don't want to change oil every 5k and that's why synthetics lure me every time. That and changing the filter on that car makes me mad and sore.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
If this noise issue is as bad as some say it is, I wonder how people can allow themselves to buy a new noisy sounding Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Corvette, Porsche, Aston Martin, Cadillac XLR, or Dodge Viper?
dunno.gif

I wonder why people pay good money to make their engines noisier with performance exhausts, yet some here complain incessantly when an oil does the same...
grin.gif

Hi all, been lurking here for sometime and just made my first post on one of the other forums. I have a bit of a quandry, at least in my mind. Here's the story---have had many enthusiast type cars over the years and have been very happy with Mobil 1 flavors for many years in all applications. In my C5 Z06 I have been using 5/30 since the beginning. Last oil change I use 5/30 s-syn as ususal and switch from Amsoil filter to Bosch for fun. Upon completing the change I start up to check for leaks etc. and hear an untoward amount of valvetrain music. I drive the car that day and hear various valve noise that I am not liking. I change the filter thinking that maybe it does not like the Bosch-restictive or something? Seems to quiet a bit. It is not till some months later when I come across this forum that I read about many others who have some notions about valve noise with the newer iterations of Mobil 1--So maybe I am not crazy. So now I am discontented about my oil. Don't know what to use really. Used to think I had it figured out but.....??? I use Amsoil in another car but I think it is their G-III version where as M-1 is IV correct? I want to try GC 0/30 but that does not seem to meet the GM4718 spec if I read the label correctly. What do you think? Can you help me settle my tortured little mind????

I use GC 0w30 (with a K&N oil filter) in my C5 with excellent results! I don't have a warranty to worry about, so I don't need an oil with the 4718M rating on it. But even though GC doesn't show this on the label does not mean it wouldn't pass that test, it is an extremely durable oil. Probably the best oil you can run in an LS1 engine. My engine wear numbers are extremely low and my engine consumes no oil at all. I have no strange engine noises either, not even a hint of piston slap. The valvetrain sounds perfectly smooth. I'm sure a lot of the credit goes to me having a perfectly built engine though (GM can get a few of them right from time to time)
smile.gif

in either the 5-30 or 0-30 applications I have seen, Amsoil provides the most overall protection (I have a C6 vert) and so I ordered amsoil. In my BMW's I use Mobil 1 0-40, which seems to provid the best protection in that range. In other words, compare the specs.

get the motor oil bible

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
I can tell you this Mr. 427Z06; My 2005 CR-V has gotten VERY VERY noisy on...

I've got an extra set of ear plugs I can let you have.
wink.gif
Just kiddin'.

I have to say I'm stumped with all the complaints of "excessive engine noise". I even tried measuring it with a sound level meter sensitive to 0.1 dB and have yet to measure anything. To think that we have UOAs, particle counts, API tests, ACEA tests, maufacturer's dyno, long term durability, NVH tests and people give more credence to something as subjective as "it sound less pleasant". Gentlemen, I'm simply befuddled.
dunno.gif

As far as I know, there is nothing different about the acoustic damping properties of PAO/Esters that would cause synlubes to be more noisy. The only explanation I can come up with is that synlubes are thinner during the warmup period, when engine clearances are at their maximum.

Now that Amsoil is being formulated at about the same viscosity as Mobil 1 and uses a similar add pack, I'll be interested to see if folks start complaining about it as well. It certainly hasn't been an issue in the past.

I have a thread in progress "considering switching from M1" which chronicles some of what I'm doing.

I haven't been a BITOG poster for very long, but I'm getting a little bothered by those who state that folks who find M1 louder must be imagining things. Their 'proof' is that they can't hear it on their own vehicle.

I have been a long time M1 user in multiple cars and multiple grades. Before even really reading BITOG I remember commenting to my wife this year about why all of our cars seem to get top end noisy (we've always had used cars, and I just blamed the cars for getting old).

As part of an ARX cycle, I switched from M1 0W40 to Esso XD3 15W40 HDEO in my 1998 BMW 528 (M52 engine) with 115,000km. I can say absolutely, without a doubt that the top end is WAY quieter. Inside or outside, warm or cold, idle or redline, hood up or down - no questions asked.

Within the last month when M1 was in the engine I was trying to find a noisy roller in the belt driven accessories and had occasion to be under the hood, working the throttle with my hand. I did it again last night to listen to a lifter and I clearly noted that almost none of the underhood noise was coming from the valve cover anymore like it was less than a month ago with M1. My ticking lifter clearly stands out now, where before I had to concentrate to hear it over the other noise.

Say what you want but it's real because I've heard it. You may not, count yourself lucky. I thought that my ex-1990 Acura Integra (switched to M1 5W30 after several years of dino) and ex-1992 Porsche 968 (water cooled 3L inline 4, ran M1 15W50) were also kind of top-end noisy sometimes but I wasn't connected enough to even think it was the oil. It was Mobil1, the greatest stuff on earth!

I'm not claiming M1 isn't good, or that it doesn't protect or anything else - but the difference is there, plain and simple. I may return to the T&S 5W40 variant of M1, or I might shop around for something else (XD3, GC, RL) once my ARX is done this fall.

Craig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back