Contaminated Brake Fluid = $4K Repair

My co-worker's 2019 Silverado pickup is in the shop for a complete brake system rebuild. He purchased the 1 year old truck through Carvana (now out of warranty) and started noticing peculiar brake operation a few months ago. His trusted mechanic at an independent reputable garage called yesterday with an estimate of just under $4,000 to rebuild the system. He stated that the brake fluid was contaminated and the rubber parts are swelled.

Ouch. I feel really bad for him. We can only guess that someone maybe put power steering fluid in the brake reservoir before he bought it?

His brakes started performing peculiar over 4 months ago and recently became dangerous, sometimes grabbing - other times requiring multiple pedal pushes. Sometimes the pedal almost goes to the floor. This is a small shop he has trusted for many years. Calipers, rubber hoses, master cylinder, ABS unit (?), proportioning valve......what else?

We all know that parts and labor costs much more than DIY. And, a shop cannot cut any corners on something like this due to liability. You really think he is getting hosed?

EDIT - he thinks the fluid contamination happened when, or before he purchased it = more than a year ago. I can add more once I see the repair bill.

Last edited:
His brakes started performing peculiar over 4 months ago and recently became dangerous, sometimes grabbing - other times requiring multiple pedal pushes. Sometimes the pedal almost goes to the floor. This is a small shop he has trusted for many years. Calipers, rubber hoses, master cylinder, ABS unit (?), proportioning valve......what else?

We all know that parts and labor costs much more than DIY. And, a shop cannot cut any corners on something like this due to liability. You really think he is getting hosed?
Without more detailed information as to the root cause, I'd say yes. And a proportioning valve? There are elastomer parts in that?

His trusted mechanic at an independent reputable garage called yesterday with an estimate of just under $4,000 to rebuild the system. He stated that the brake fluid was contaminated and the rubber parts are swelled.
I'd take that diagnosis with a grain of salt and get a second opinion from a Chevy before spending that much. Sounds like a parts changer rather than pinpointing the exact cause or failed part.

Presuming there really is a fluid contamination issue, I can't blame the repair shop for replacing everything. Either that or turn the job down. What if they just replace calipers and master cylinder and the OP's friend has a brake-related failure, gets in an accident, etc, etc. Who wants that potential liability ?

Presuming there really is a fluid contamination issue, I can't blame the repair shop for replacing everything. Either that or turn the job down. What if they just replace calipers and master cylinder and the OP's friend has a brake-related failure, gets in an accident, etc, etc. Who wants that potential liability ?
This, and I'd be very surprised if a dealership would have a differing opinion.

I'd take that diagnosis with a grain of salt and get a second opinion from a Chevy before spending that much. Sounds like a parts changer rather than pinpointing the exact cause or failed part.
The shop saved a sample for analysis and over the phone stated that there was a separated layer of fluid in the reservoir. Again, he has used this shop for many years and they always seem to be very transparent, offering the "best" solution(s) based on the circumstance, i.e., new vs. rebuild, OEM vs aftermarket, etc..

Any evidence of brake parts being changed before sale? It's likely where it is today because the previous work didn't replace everything, now it has to be done all over again.

Shop is taking advantage of him using scare tactics and selling unnecessary parts and labor. Do a $100-$150 brake fluid flush first. If after a month or 6 months there is a problem, address it then, don't replace the entire system now.
RIP-OFF! Fluid is only 3yo at most, If there is contamination, as Atikovi said, a flush is all that's needed, now if there is severe contamination even by water perhaps the sensors may need changing, but I don't buy the swelling etc. Changing brake-fluid is very important on these newer cars, the whole system is very sensitive and delicate.

The shop saved a sample for analysis and over the phone stated that there was a separated layer of fluid in the reservoir. Again, he has used this shop for many years and they always seem to be very transparent, offering the "best" solution(s) based on the circumstance, i.e., new vs. rebuild, OEM vs aftermarket, etc..
I suggest many of you do some reading. This is just one of many examples on a 10 second search
Note: Some systems, especially GM, use a silicone based assembly lube in many of their brake parts. This silicone assembly fluid has a tendency to migrate to the fluid reservoir. It will appear as small droplets both on the surface of the brake fluid and the rubber diaphragm. DO NOT mistake this for petroleum based fluid.
And what did the analysis report say about the contamination? A small shop may be honest and transparent, but they don't have the experience to recognize something that may be a common occurrence at a volume shop or dealership that only services that make.

When I was a manager at a chain repair place I had a customer come in stating that her steering was really hard to turn. She stated that on the way back from the airport (she was a flight attendant) she stopped at autozone and they added fluid to her P/S. Well the highly trained pros at AZ put p/s fluid in her brake resivour. The entire brake system was contaminated. Since it had just happened I advised that a simple flush might save the system. We flushed it twice and sent her on her way. The reason she had the P/S issue was that a rat had crawled up intovthe engine bay and was "sucked" into the serpentine belt and broke it, and all the accesoried obviously would turn so not only did AZ put the wrong fluid in the wrong place they completely missed the missing belt AND the rat. Not to defend AZ but the customer was very attractive and looked like Halle Berry. Without knowing what the contaminant was and verifying what is really damaged, I think the shop over wrote this repair, but thats just my opinion. Maybe Cline can throw in a few words of wisdom.

Last edited:
Back