Consumption of M1 0W-30; none before

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1zzfe engine has just over 10k miles. This is its first winter and my first time using M1 0W-30. Previously I had done a fall 3500 mile run of GC and before that a summer go (3500 miles) of M1 5W-30. In each of these OCIs there was very little consumption. However after about 1500 miles of the M1 0W-30 I am down almost half a quart. This oil went in on November 11th and the car has encountered lots of snow and colder temps. What do you think?

What I think is you need to top it off and watch it. I have 5k miles on some M1 0w30 in A mitsubishi Outlander that has experience colder weather and highway speeds this run. I have been adding an ounce of LC every 1k miles and actually have been happy with it maintaining the oil level. with this engines tyraditiponal usage. I did add about 6 oz of top up oil last week but that parralles the use I had with the Thicker Maxlife syn during the last interval. Where I added 6 oz at 4k into the interval to keep the oil level at the top line.

Yours also may stop using or it may just like consuming this oil but as long as you top it off I don't see a problem with a little consumptyion.. I hope it slows down for you thouugh, a half quart in only 1500 miles would get my attention. My(now sold) Toyota Tacoma(3.4) engine did the same thing on this oil in the first 1k it used half a quart then it stopped using it. for the remainder of the interval.
If you don't like the oil let me know where you got it because I like the way it runs in my rides.

I've had oil use with M1 that has gone away with a switch to other brands, and I've noticed many other comments to that effect here. It does not appear to be a bad thing if you don't mind checking it.

- Glenn

Sometimes when you switch oils you'll get temporary consumption. It occured with my wife's jeep when I switched from D1 to RTS. The consumption was 1 qt/3k ..then 1 qt/6k ..now looking to see if it decreases more. It had used none over 12k with D1.

If you aren't ready to throw in the towel on M1 ..just track it for another OCI. It may go away.

Now if you have no consumption ..then suddenly start consuming oil (like say zero consumption for 3k ..then routine consumption every 1500 miles) ..then you've got some fatigue issue with that oil and need to shop around ..or change it at the point where the onset of consumption occurs.

GC is on the thicker side of the 0W-30 viscocity range

M1 is on the thin side of the 0W-30 viscocity range

You may be consuming M1 because of the thinness of this oil.

quote:

I hope it slows down for you thouugh, a half quart in only 1500 miles would get my attention.

I checked more carefully today. I think consumption is more likely half of what I stated originally...a quarter of a quart.

It just looked odd checking the dipstick when previous OCIs with M1 5W-30 and GC had almost no consumption.

That sounds a bit better. Sounds like normal M1 seating in to me. I don't know if it's the low viscosity Pao's or the chemistry but this is a phenomena I would like to understand better. It could imaginably be a positive if it is leaking past the piston rings at first and then eventually stops...what would that suggest?
I wouldn't sweat it on the first run.

All the new M1 molecules are eating the residual GC molecules and spitting them out in the combustion chambers. This is what happens when you mix oils of different nationalities.

- Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back