Consumption Comparisons btw M1 and Amsoil

Messages
33,971
Location
Southern NJ
Ever since I ran AutoRx, oil consumption has slowed down considerably. What I don't understand is why my car uses more M1 then Amsoil. This is what I have found: M1 0w-30 @ 2k miles: 1qt M1 10w-30 @ 2k miles: 1/2 qt. M1 0w-40 @ 2k miles: 1/4 qt. Amsoil S2k @ 2k miles: 0qt.s Amsoil 10w-30 @ 1k miles:0qts. I first thought it was due to Mobil's lighter weight, but then the 0w-40 wasn't doing to great either, in comparison to Amsoil. NOAK's are so close but I'm wondering if it isn't the NOAK volatility that is causing this? [Smile] 0w-30 was put in right after my second treatment of Rx. 0w-40 was used as a third shot of Rx. I've wasted so much **** oil. I should have run dino for these treatments. [Frown] [ April 28, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 

CJH

Messages
489
Location
Pennsylvania
What was your consumption before the Auto Rx? Just curious as I am considering it for the same reason.
quote:
Originally posted by buster: Ever since I ran AutoRx, oil consumption has slowed down considerably. What I don't understand is why my car uses more M1 then Amsoil. This is what I have found: M1 0w-30 @ 2k miles: 1qt M1 10w-30 @ 2k miles: 1/2 qt. M1 0w-40 @ 2k miles: 1/4 qt. Amsoil S2k @ 2k miles: 0qt.s Amsoil 10w-30 @ 1k miles:0qts. I first thought it was due to Mobil's lighter weight, but then the 0w-40 wasn't doing to great either, in comparison to Amsoil. NOAK's are so close but I'm wondering if it isn't the NOAK volatility that is causing this? [Smile] 0w-30 was put in right after my second treatment of Rx. 0w-40 was used as a third shot of Rx. I've wasted so much **** oil. I should have run dino for these treatments. [Frown]
 
Messages
2,480
I've found this too. That's why I stopped using M-1. Remember Bob saying...there's more to oil than just it's base. Three things to look for...the addative package, addative package, and the addative package. Wonder why engines make the most noise with M-1 too...
 

buster

Thread starter
Messages
33,971
Location
Southern NJ
For the first 80k miles I used M1 trisynthetic and used 1qt. every 3k. I didn't keep very good track of it, and it's been so long, so I could be off a little in my estimations. I do know this, I use more M1 then Amsoil. I currently have Amsoil 10w-30 which I MUST, at this point after going through so much oil so quickly, run out to about 12k + miles. The whole purpose of me running 3 treatments of Rx was to start extending the drain intervals. Clean engine is a must. The C5 Vette post too suggests Amsoil does reduce consumption in some cases. Then there are other cars that run on M1 and never have these problems. Just depends on the engine I guess?? I also finally found a local Chevy dealer that carries Amsoil. I asked the dealership today if you can have them put Amsoil in instead of M1 and he said yes. I wonder if it is the API XL line? I do think it's the additvie package as that really can be the only thing since both use the same base oil. Lubrizol is probably making the Amsoil additive pkg and it's most likely a little more expensive and better. Hey, I just answered my own question! [Duh!] [ April 28, 2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 
Messages
154
Location
Chicago
My latest fill, (Nov 02) in the 944 turbo (105k, 4 quart sump +filter)is Mobil 1 0-40. 3K so far on this oil and it has used a half quart. This is the first time it has used any oil. No consumption with - Mobil 1 10-30 (economy gain due to low vis.) Amsoil 0-30 (changed out due to cold start noises, viscosity drop and increased wear numbers) Castrol/Pennzoil 5/10-30 (dino days of yore') On the plus side M1 0-40 is absolutely the smoothest and quietest the engine has ever been, and the oil "looks" great. Will have it analyzed at 3600 miles for comparison to previous M1 10-30. All I can attribute the consumption to is the "0" in the 0-40 weight with the cold winter and frequent cold starts. Depending on the next analysis my next move may be Redline, half and half 5-30, 5-40 for an approx. viscosity of 13.
 

buster

Thread starter
Messages
33,971
Location
Southern NJ
quote:
All I can attribute the consumption to is the "0" in the 0-40 weight
I think your right. Mobil's VI's seem to be volatile. 0w-30 is bad too. 10w-30 IMO, is there best oil and of course D1 too but thats a HDD. Amsoil S2k seems to be great on some engines and not so hot on others. Which is why UOA tells all. [Smile]
 
Messages
190
Location
Minnesota
My experience has been the opposite. With the Amsoil 5W30 I would use a full quart at 1700 miles. With the Mobil 1 0W30 or 5W30 I would only use a 1/2 quart closer to 3,000 miles. Don't know why, seemed strange to me, but these be the real world driving facts. Experimented with Valvoline Dura blend and Havoline regular (both 5W30) and they were about the same as the Mobil 1's. (93 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1, now with 233,000 and still purring along nicely, with excellent fuel mileage). Steven [Roll Eyes]
 
Messages
2,480
Well, (gulp)...I now use Syntec 5-50. Consumption cut in half over M-1 15-50. HTHS is like, 4.5. I've mentioned this before though...you were wondering if I would do a UAO on it. I just did a second short-change interval...as soon as I get to my regular 10k mi. interval...I will do one.
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,988
Location
Oakville, Ontario
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. T: Well, (gulp)...I now use Syntec 5-50. Consumption cut in half over M-1 15-50. HTHS is like, 4.5. I've mentioned this before though...you were wondering if I would do a UAO on it. I just did a second short-change interval...as soon as I get to my regular 10k mi. interval...I will do one.
That's right, you did mention this to me before. I've got a good memory but it's short. [Smile]
 
Messages
3,023
Location
USA-Michigan
There is one other thing to consider with oil consumption. That's the way the vehicle is driven. Some are just harder on a vehicle than others but they most likely won't admit it. I have seen it over and over again. Every summer we hire about 4-8 college interns for our survey crews. Some are easy on the equipment and others break everything they touch. Its just the way to do things, one guy lat year(26 yo college student) took a brand new 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton ext cab and trashed it in 6 months. He logged over 16,000 miles, never serviced it on time, ruined 2 of the Michelin tires running over trash in the medium, had the truck interior looking like a trash pile. Yet he got upset when the boss gave him a bad service rating for not taking proper care of equipment. He swears he did nothing to the truck but there is a couple of good side dings in the body, bumper pushed in, not to mention his chewing snuff and leaving mountain dew bottles full of spit laying under the seats. One was leaking and we had to use the steam cleaner to clean out the truck. btw-His personal vehicle, 1995 GMC Jimmy was junk.
 
Messages
3,542
Location
Colorado
quote:
Originally posted by Mike: There is one other thing to consider with oil consumption. That's the way the vehicle is driven. Some are just harder on a vehicle than others but they most likely won't admit it. I have seen it over and over again. Every summer we hire about 4-8 college interns for our survey crews. Some are easy on the equipment and others break everything they touch. Its just the way to do things, one guy lat year(26 yo college student) took a brand new 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton ext cab and trashed it in 6 months. He logged over 16,000 miles, never serviced it on time, ruined 2 of the Michelin tires running over trash in the medium, had the truck interior looking like a trash pile. Yet he got upset when the boss gave him a bad service rating for not taking proper care of equipment. He swears he did nothing to the truck but there is a couple of good side dings in the body, bumper pushed in, not to mention his chewing snuff and leaving mountain dew bottles full of spit laying under the seats. One was leaking and we had to use the steam cleaner to clean out the truck. btw-His personal vehicle, 1995 GMC Jimmy was junk.
If he was working for me I would have fired his a**!!! Good worker or not it says alot about a person by the way they take of there property!!! [Mad]
 
Messages
264
Location
High in the Rockies
quote:
Originally posted by buster: This is what I have found: M1 0w-40 @ 2k miles: 1/4 qt. I first thought it was due to Mobil's lighter weight, but then the 0w-40 wasn't doing to great either, in comparison to Amsoil. [Smile] [Frown] [/QB]
Maybe, compared to the Amsoil numbers you posted, but in my book.... I qt. usage in 8,000 miles is pretty darn good. I'll take that any day. :-)
 
Top