ConsumerGuide : CHEAP cars of '83 ...

The early 1980's were incredible with regard to vehicles. It seemed that even the cheapy cars had some personality and were fun to own. Seeing that Pulsar and thinking of the Toyota Tercel SR-5 reminded me how much I loved cars back then. I had a handful of cars to include a Toyota Corolla (little 2-door with 1.8 liter pushrod engine), a Corolla GT-S (DOHC 1.6 liter engine), a 1979 280ZX, a 1981 Z-28, a Toyota 4WD SR5 pickup and a Honda Accord hatchback. I eventually bought a 1984 Supra to round out my '80's era vehicles but by the time I finished my military service and college education it seemed that cars became cookie cutter appliances that no longer drew my attention. I'm sure I matured a bit over the years and my priorities changed also.

Today I own only what I need to get around. I laugh at the $93,000 electric Ford pickups and pity those who never had the opportunity to learn how to drive a sporty manual gearbox equipped vehicle. Now we get electric motors with press-to-go pedals that do nothing to stimulate the senses. Sure, some of the models accelerate quickly but it's nothing like rowing the gearbox of a Porsche 930 turbo of the late 1970's. It's a bygone era that will never return and those of us who have lived it and remember it carry a treasure that money can't buy today.

I had a 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima that would talk to you. Fuel level is low, door is ajar, fasten seat belts, turn off the lights etc! The warning beeps, buzzers of today are far less annoying than a voice telling you what to do!

I lusted after one of those Shelby Chargers back in the day. It was on the local Dodge dealers showroom floor. Blue with silver. Gorgeous even today. But man that car is slow by todays standard. But sexy

Don

I thought the Mustang SVO was one of the cooler cars back then. Although the list price was something like $16K. That would be about $46K today.

We raced them and with mods, they would reach about 160mph on the fastest tracks at over 30 pounds boost.

98XJbDNv-TeLlBRThYH.BLgbyK3SE.jpg

Last edited:
Looking through the ads, those cars got really good gas mileage 👍
Don’t forget, epa mpg ratings went done in 2009(?) with different testing. Maybe the testing changed too over the years, after that was back in the dark days 55mph max.

I had a 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima that would talk to you. Fuel level is low, door is ajar, fasten seat belts, turn off the lights etc! The warning beeps, buzzers of today are far less annoying than a voice telling you what to do!
i had a 83maxima wagon. loved that car. wife ran it out of coolant and cooked the engine

My Mom had an 85 Corolla hatchback, 68hp carb'd 1.6l with a 4! speed auto. It came with slotted struts and camber degree markers on the steering knuckle. We added all the front camber we could and a bit at the rear and it was the best fwd car for drifting in the snow or gravel I've ever driven. Just a touch of scandinavian flick and some left foot braking to tighten the line if needed... it was pretty sweet.
The main things were that it was light, and the steering offered good feedback for what the fronts were doing, or basically self corrected a drift if you wanted.
It was fun for autocross too, would chirp the tires on the shift to 2nd, so I guess it had enough power? lol

There is still a Nissan Pulsar of that era driving around here with I believe a factory wagon conversion, where they take hatch off and put a wedge shaped wagon style lid on instead.

Back